                     Something wicked this way comes."
                                   -2nd MacBeth witch

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
October Night Sky Tour Part I

Up Next at USM Theatre
*The Women Who Mapped the Stars*
by Joyce Van Dyke
Oct. 4-13th, 2019
For more info: usm.maine.edu/theatre

We begin with an ardent apology.
As much as we love our subterranean hobbit hole star dome theatre, it
doesn't do the real night sky justice.    The actual sky, the panoramic
portal onto our own little galactic niche, is certainly bigger to the point
of being unbounded.  Yet, it also bristles with ceaseless energy, is
envlivenened by vibrant color, bears the imprint of the ancient and
immortal, and every incandescent stellar pinpoint is like a luminescent
window along an expansive urban skyline:  the remote light of another realm
displaced from our own, but still part of an unfathomably larger system.

[image: northern-cross.jpg]

Venture outside tonight at 8:00 p.m.   Directly overhead and looming high
and bright is Cygnus the Swan, more popularly known as the "Northern
Cross."  Ironically, more people have heard of the Southern Cross, a famous
star pattern that only observers south of the 30th north parallel can see.
     Here in the mid latitudes, the Northern Cross is perfectly placed this
evening.  Even the casual observer, or the sour-souled curmudgeon who steps
outside at the insistence of his exasperatingly persistent grandchildren,
will experience no difficulty finding the cross early this evening. Just
look up toward the zenith and there it shall be.

Like the other constellations, the Northern Cross has retained its shape
over thousands of years despite the rapid motion of its component stars.
Although these stars speed through the galaxy at more than 100 miles per
second, their apparent positions change imperceptibly over a human lifetime
and by minute amounts over the centuries because they are so distant.   If
only we had lifespans extending tens or hundreds of thousands of years
would we ultimately observe the distortions and eventually disassociations
of the constellations as a consequence of these motions.

How far?  Light years away!
We toss around that term quite often.  A "light year" is the distance that
light travels in one Earth year when moving through a vacuum at the speed
of 186,290 miles per second: about 5.8 trillion light years.   Deneb, the
brightest star in Cygnus, is about 2615 light years away.   We're seeing
that star tonight as it actually appeared around the time
that Nebuchadnezzar II was building the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.    Our
portal permits observations of distant space and remote times.

[image: kaPwBjHiUKax8syodHNPmF-650-80.jpg]
A bit closer to home is Venus, that dazzlingly bright planet one can now
see in the western early evening sky.     On viewing this gorgeous world,
we can well understand why Venus was named for the Roman goddess of love
and beauty, the counterpart to the Greek Aphrodite.    One would hardly
find it beautiful and lovely were one to venture down onto its surface
which roasts at 900 degrees Fahrenheit.  The suffocatingly thick carbon
dioxide atmosphere traps the Sun's intense heat, producing the hell furnace
conditions from pole to pole.

Wow!
Yes, not that you're looking toward the east where we pointed, you can't
see anything in particular, apart from the star-adorned firmament.  We just
saw a flicker of light: an early Orionid meteor appearing to travel from
the east.    The problem with meteors is that by the time a companion
observes one and alerts you, it's gone,   Meteors are the rapid lights
generated by descending meteoroids that burn out more than 50 miles above
Earth's surface.  The infiltration of these particles excites the nearby
atoms which elevates their electrons into higher energy states.  When the
electrons settle back down to their original states, they release the
photons we see as meteors.   These meteoroids are fragments of Halley's
Comet, currently trudging slowly along the outer part of its orbit.  It is
destined to turn around in December 2023 for a 2061 excursion through the
inner solar system.

Part II tomorrow.

TO SUBSCRIBE OR UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE "DAILY ASTRONOMER" LIST-SERVE:
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Flists.maine.edu%2Fcgi%2Fwa%3FSUBED1%3DDAILY-ASTRONOMER%26A%3D1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFULbYWhPaagSdTTFqjXHF4ALIV8A>