2019-2020:  XIII
               We put the tagline at the end of today's DA

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, September 19, 2019
The Underground Stars

Today we return to Pandora's Jar, the vessel in which we store the
astronomy questions that we are determined to answer.  Granted, a couple
people seem to suffer through an interminable wait to have their questions
answered because we consider the drafts we write in response to be horribly
inadequate.  (Yes, I know, most of our posts are like that!)   So, to these
patients subscribers we offer our gratitude and sincerest apologies. We
have NOT forgotten about you.

Today's question pertains to the stars: not those above our heads, but
those below our feet.

*"Are there more stars below the ground or in the sky?"*
*           -N.E,   Naples*

Let's imagine that we transformed the planet into a transparent glass
sphere. Let's further pretend that we snapped off that troublesome Sun so
as to allow us to see outer space in all directions.   We would notice
starry black skies in every direction, almost as if we were "floating" in a
boundless starfield.  In fact, our planet IS floating in a boundless
starfield.  Or. more correctly, our planet is moving around a star that is
traveling through the spiral arms of a galaxy containing billions of stars.
   The image below shows the closest stars to the Sun.  Notice that they
are located in all directions.

[image: 12lys.gif]

*Stars beneath our feet:  *We often don't think of stars "floating" in
space, as we're accustomed to observing them adorning our sky.    In fact,
all the stars we see in the sky, including the Sun, are moving through the
Milky Way Galaxy. The image above shows the positions of the closest stars
to the Sun.  There are as many stars "below" Earth as "above" it.

It is impossible to determine if more stars exist below us than above us.
However, we do know that the Sun is moving along an undulating curve while
it travels around the galaxy so that the solar system is alternately
"above" and "below" the galactic plane.    We can think of the galaxy as
being a disc about 1000 light years in thickness and 100,000 light years in
diameter.   Astronomers are not exactly certain as to our position relative
to this plane, but believe that our solar system is 76 - 110 light years
above it.    So, by this measure, there are more of the galaxy's stars
beneath our feet than above our heads.

However, the Universe harbors more than 200 billion galaxies scattered in
all directions.  If we decided to conduct a thorough census of all the
stars, we would find -193,450 years later- that there are just as many
galaxies in all directions and therefore we wouldn't see more stars or
galaxies in any particular direction.      This planet lends us the
comforting sensation of standing on a steady ground, even though we are all
literally moving through an unbounded void extending in every direction for
billions of light years.

*Spider webs are not webs.*
They are the life paths of myriad luminous micro-sprites who are confined
to the regions we perceive as the webbings, just as we are confined to the
streets, buildings and pathways of the world.   They lead very short lives
before they transform into spores that the wind conveys to alternate
universes that we see as other spider webs.     They move so quickly during
their lives that their light seems to create a solid pattern, just as fan
blades can produce the illusion of either a solid disc or no disc at all.
  When you stare at a spider web, even if it is just for a moment, you're
observing a scintilimon -the collective noun for micro-sprites numbering
greater than 625, which is the square of 25, the base unit of their
numbering system derived, likely, from the 25 photon emitting globules that
line the circumference of their heads- of luminous micro sprites living out
their entire lives in what to us is a flash, but to them is a protracted
life span in which they are as beset with travails as we are.   If you're
staring at a spider web, the micro sprites are perceiving you as a
constellation: immortal and unchanging.    They see you as the one
immutable aspect of their lives so that the micro sprites who first beheld
you in their infancy while awakening to the strange cosmos will in their
old age (ten seconds later for you) be comforted by your presence  as they
prepare to lapse off into what for them is the undiscovered country but, to
us, is the glistening spider web along a nearby tree.

[image: unnamed.jpg]
Photo by Susan C.H. Siu

TO SUBSCRIBE OR UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE "DAILY ASTRONOMER" LIST-SERVE:
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Flists.maine.edu%2Fcgi%2Fwa%3FSUBED1%3DDAILY-ASTRONOMER%26A%3D1&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFULbYWhPaagSdTTFqjXHF4ALIV8A>