Maeghan Maloney, the District Attorney for Kennebec and Somerset counties
who handled legal aspects of the North Pond hermit case, was guest speaker
at the China Library Association's annual meeting July 17.  She's been
talking about the case for a couple years, but is still full of enthusiasm;
we had a lively and informative discussion about the specific case and many
aspects of state law, related and unrelated. She was very respectful of the
former hermit's privacy.
Ms. Maloney prefers to speak to libraries in the two counties she's
responsible for, since she usually does her presentations after a full
day's work and would rather not drive all night.  If any of you in Somerset
and Kennebec counties are looking for a speaker, I recommend her highly.
The price is right, too; she considers education part of her job and
charges nothing.
Mary Grow, Librarian
Albert Church Brown Memorial Library

--