                    "You don't need a parachute to go sky diving.,   You do
need a parachute to go skydiving twice."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Saturday, July 20, 2019
Quiz XXVI:  Apollo 11!

Yes, we decided to send the Friday quiz on Saturday as today is the 50th
anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing.    Yes, we also know that you're
so preoccupied with the tricky task of keeping your body immersed in the
freezer that the very last thing on your mind is a moon quiz.    However,
for those who might be languishing in this blissful heat wave and looking
for something to do that doesn't require physical exertion, this quiz might
just be for you!

We celebrate the golden anniversary of what has been described as
humankind's greatest endeavor:   traveling to and then landing on the
moon.     We are delighted that you're celebrating this monumental
achievement with us today!

1.   Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first two people to walk on
the moon.  Where was Michael Collins, the only other astronaut aboard
Apollo 11?
a.  he was on the lunar module, but couldn't venture outside due to a
problem with one of the seals on his suit
b. he remained in orbit around the moon
c. he was the third person to walk on the moon
d. he accidentally went to the Sun.

2. Who were the last two people on the moon?
a.  Jack Schmidt and Gene Cernan
b.  Jim Lovell and Pete Conrad
c.  Alan Bean and Alan Shepherd
d.  Dave Lister and Arnold Rimmer

3.   Which of the following Apollo 11 astronauts are still alive?
a.  Neil Armstrong
b.  Buzz Aldrin
c.  Michael Collins
d.  None of them are still alive

4.  On what date did the Apollo 11 astronauts return to Earth?
a.  July 23, 1969
b. July 24, 1969
c. July 26, 1969
d.  July 20, 1979   (They let Odysseus navigate on the way back)

5.  The moon landing has been called "Kennedy's Dream."   Yet, who was the
US President when Neil and Buzz walked on the moon?
a.  Richard Nixon
b.  Lyndon Johnson
c.  Jimmy Carter
d. Gerald Ford

6.  How many minerals did the Apollo 11 astronauts discover?  (Although
these minerals were first found on the moon, samples of them were later
discovered on Earth.)
a.  1
b.  3
c.  6
d.  28

7.  We all know the first words Neil Armstrong spoke when standing on the
moon.  What were Buzz Aldrin's first words?
a.  "Good luck, Mr Gorsky"
b.  "Magnificent desolation"
c.  "Looks like the strut had a little thermal effect on it, right here,
Neil"
d.  "The surface is fine and powdery"

8.  How long did the three Apollo 11 astronauts have to remain in
quarantine after their return to Earth?
a.  they didn't have to spend any time in quarantine
b.  24 hours
c.  72 hours
d.  three weeks

9.  How long did Neil and Buzz remain on the moon?
a.   11 hours
b.  17 hours
c.  21 hours
d.  1 day, 14 minutes

10.  How many people have walked on the moon?
a.  3
b. 6
c. 10
d.  12

Bonus question related to the quiz tittle:
What does 11!  equal?

ANSWERS
1.  b. he remained in orbit around the moon

2. a.  Jack Schmidt and Gene Cernan

3. b.  Buzz Aldrin
c.  Michael Collins

4. b. July 24, 1969

5. a.  Richard Nixon

6. b.  3
Armalcolite ( named for Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins), pyroxferroite, and
tranquillityite

7. c.  "Looks like the strut had a little thermal effect on it, right here,
Neil"
Not one of history's most famous quotes, of course, but noteworthy as it
reminds us that the mission was certainly a scientific one

8. d.  three weeks

9. c.  21 hours

10.  d.  12

BONUS QUESTION
11! =  11 x 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 =  39,916,800