FROM THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
        "Full of hot air and taking up space."

EXTREME HEAT THIS WEEKEND

You know how you guys complain incessantly about the winter chill?
Well, you guys do.  We love the cold!

This weekend we'll be along the upper crest of a heat wave that will roast us
like a wheelbarrow load of the impenitent damned.   Heat index tomorrow could exceed 103 F!

Please be cautious this weekend!
[Hey:  you can visit the planetarium tomorrow to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the
Apollo 11 Moon landing!  www.usm.maine.edu/planet/50th-anniversary-apollo-11-landing
Our dome is air conditioned!]

As USM's unofficial (and likely undesired) weather source, we want to remind you that heat stroke can prove quite dangerous and highly unpleasant.  (Yes, we rather suspected you knew that already)

Signs of heat stroke:

  • Throbbing headache.
  • Dizziness and light-headedness.
  • Lack of sweating despite the heat.
  • Red, hot, and dry skin.
  • Muscle weakness or cramps.
  • Nausea and vomiting.
  • Rapid heartbeat, which may be either strong or weak.
  • Rapid, shallow breathing.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, find a cool place, drink some liquid, get out of the direct sunlight!
[Hey:  you can visit the planetarium tomorrow to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the
Our dome is air conditioned!]

We know that we only have to issue heat warnings about three times a millennium.  Well, these are one of those times.

Your health and well being are immensely important to us.  (Yes, we mean it!)

Stay safe.
Be well....

E.G.