THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/70+Falmouth+Street%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0Portland,+Maine%C2%A0+04103?entry=gmail&source=g>
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970

*NEW AUTUMN CLASSES AT THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM*

First, don't panic!
We're only in mid July and we'll have a lot more summer to experience
before the school year begins again.
However, we here in the Southworth Planetarium are immensely excited about
the autumn because we'll be offering  "Celestial Mythology," two sessions
of "Astronomy a la Carte,"  "Star Dome Astronomy" (night session), "Star
Dome Astronomy for Young People"  and Celestial art class (Details of the
art class to come.)     [In 2020, we'll have offering Fantastic Physics,
Space Math, and other classes, as well.]

We know that you might still be basking in what has turned out to be a
gorgeous summer (a well deserved one, as we saw the Sun for a total of 13.7
minutes this spring.)    However, we would love to see you for our fall
planetarium classes.

The list is below.
If you have any questions, concerns, requests, please contact us at anytime
(207) 780-4249

*ASTRONOMY A LA CARTE:DAY SESSION AND NIGHT SESSION  *
*(Dates and times below)*

What is "Astronomy a la Carte?"
Simple.     This course consists of 11  "stand alone" astronomy classes
designed for anyone!  You may enroll in any or all of these different
classes.       As they are not continuous, a student can pick and
choose the classes that interest them the most.       We have
stand-alone classes about the moon, the Sun, galaxies, space weather,
stars and even a class about black holes and time warps.

*ASTRONOMY A LA CARTE    - NIGHT SESSION*
Monday evenings    7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Starting September 16, 2019
$12.00 per person
($20.00 for a couple; $130 for one person to attend them all;   $225 for a
couple to attend them all.)

*ASTRONOMY A LA CARTE    *Thursday mornings   10:30 a.m - noon
Starting September 19, 2019
$12.00 per person
($20.00 for two students.   Parents are welcome to attend the classes with
their children at no charge.)
[NOTE:  Members receive a 20% discount on all classes:
For more information, please visit our membership page:
www.usm.maine.edu/planet/planetarium-membership-program]

*CELESTIAL MYTHOLOGY*Tuesday mornings  10:30 a.m. - noon
September 17 - October 15

Celestial Mythology in a star dome theatre.    With the aid of brand new
constellation outlines and our boundless dark sky, the Southworth
Planetarium's "Celestial Mythology" course will introduce students to more
than 50 constellations prominent during each season.   Join us as we tell
and re-tell some of the most fantastic legends and sagas ever developed
during the history of human invention:   from Theseus in the Labyrinth,
Perseus on the island of the gorgons, Jason's quest for the Fleece;
Atalanta's race, Athena's birth from the head of Zeus;  the restless
Hyperborean bears; Bellerophon upon winged Pegasus, Orion's pursuit of the
Pleaides....and myriad other tales from the inexhaustible reserves of
Greco-Roman mythology: a mythology that remains indelibly imprinted onto
the night sky.   (Yeah, well, ok, astronomers...the stars are moving and
after thousands of years the constellations will change, but please allow
me a bit of poetic license.)

Enroll in all five classes or pick and choose which season/class.

Tuesday, September 17:  Summer Night Sky
Tuesday, September 24:  Autumn Night Sky
Tuesday, October 1:  Winter Night Sky
Tuesday,  October 8:  Spring Night Sky
Tuesday,  October 15:  Comprehensive review of all seasonal night skies.
$75.00 enrollment fee.
($20 each individual class)

*STAR DOME ASTRONOMY*Starts Tuesday, September 24, 2019
Tuesday evenings    7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
A seven-week introductory astronomy course
So….

You’ve always wanted to learn astronomy, but were not sure how to begin.
The Southworth Planetarium invites you to enroll in our basic astronomy
course.    Each Tuesday evening from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. (for six weeks),
explore the night sky and the Universe beyond it.

Learn how to read star charts, use planispheres, identify constellations
and track planetary motions.  We also discover how stars work, live and
die.    We conduct each class in both a lecture and our star dome theatre,
hence the class title.

 The more we learn about our fascinating Universe, the more amazing and
complex it becomes.   Discover its wonders for yourself in both the
classroom and our star dome theatre.

ENROLLMENT:  $80.00

*STAR DOME ASTRONOMY FOR YOUNG PEOPLE*
Monday mornings 10:30 a.m. - noon
September 30 - November 4, 2019
Enrollment:   $75.00

We begin at the North Star in our night sky and from this launching point
explore the Universe.  The planet motions in the solar system, the
constellations, the motions of the moon, and much more.  "Introductory Star
Dome Astronomy"  extends far beyond the state's learning standards to give
your student a thorough understanding of basic astronomy.

Planet locations and motions

How the Sun moves through the sky

How to find constellations and prominent stars

How to use planispheres and star charts.

What causes northern lights and meteor showers

How to find satellites and the International Space Station.

EXPLORE THE UNIVERSE WITH THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM!