Julian date:  2458641.5
              "Heavens above!"

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, June 7, 2019
FIFA Women's World Cup 2019!

[image: opengraph.jpg]

Yes!!
It is World Cup time again: a period of unbridled ecstasy for the dozens of
us adamant American soccer fans.  Moreover, as this is the Women's World
Cup, we beleaguered Americans can actually admit that we're fans without
going purple with shame because the American Women's Soccer team is one of
the absolute best in the world!  [A reminder for those who've forgotten:
 the American men's team didn't even COMPETE in the 2018 FIFA Men's World
Cup finals because they were defeated by TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO in the
qualifying rounds!  There is always 2022, of course, when America will
likely be sent packing by another country that is 0.04% its size: cue the
J.P. Sousa music.]

But, no matter: that is about three years in a dark, bleak future.   Today,
we're giddy and glowing as we prepare to watch the American women rise yet
again to the pinnacle in World Cup soccer.   Today, we celebrate the World
Cup as the 2019 final tournament begins!

1.  Which country is hosting the World Cup 2019?
a.  France
b.  USA
c.  Brazil
d.  Australia

2.  What do Chile, South Africa, Jamaica and Scotland have in common
relative to the Women's World Cup?
a. they have each won the Women's World Cup once
b. this will be their first appearance in the Women's World Cup
c. they have all been suspended from the Women's World Cup until 2027 due
to doping allegations
d. none of these countries have yet to have appeared in any of the Women's
World Cups, including this one.

3.  Which country has earned FIFA's # 1 ranking for the Women's World Cup.
(i.e.  which country is considered the favorite to win?)
a.  France
b.  USA
c.  Brazil
d.  Germany

4.  How many teams are participating in this World Cup?  (i.e. the Final
tournament.)
a.  24
b. 36
c. 48
d. 60

5.  Which ONE of the following African countries will not be participating
in the World Cup this time?
a.  South Africa
b.  Nigeria
c.  Morocco
d.  Cameroon

6.  In what year was the first FIFA Women's World Cup held?
a. 1960
b. 1970
c. 1982
d. 1991

7.  When was the previous FIFA Women's World Cup?
a.  2018
b.  2017
c.  2016
d.  2015

8.  Which country won the last FIFA Women's World Cup?
a.  USA
b.  China
c.  Germany
d.  Italy

9.  Only two countries have hosted the FIFA Women's World Cup twice.  One
of those countries is the USA.  The other one is:
a.  China
b.  France
c.  Sweden
d. Brazil

10. Which nation will host the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup?
a.  Argentina
b.  New Zealand
c.  Japan
d.  The host country hasn't yet been selected

ANSWERS

1.  a  France

2.  b. this will be their first appearance in the Women's World Cup

3.  b.  USA
RAH!

4. a.  24

5. c.  Morocco

6. d. 1991

7. d.  2015
The World Cup (properly, the World Cup finals) are held every four years
for both the women and the men.

8.  a.  USA
RAH!

9.  a.  China

10.  d.  The host country hasn't yet been selected
The choice will be made in early 2020.  The countries listed in the
question are among the ten countries which have applied to host the 2023
event.