It can vary widely depending on what is available and where the game is played. Some teams may have more access to it at home games for example where they have more control, and depending on how the game is broadcast. I think every league now has replay and most if not all D1 teams have Internet video broadcasts even if the game is not on broadcast TV, but the angles and replays available may vary depending on all of that, as well as how quickly a replay from a good angle may be able to be seen. I don’t know what is available in Buffalo this weekend for instance. I’d think that the TV replays may be available, but again it’s hard to tell and there you’d be at the mercy of the broadcast, what it shows and when it is able to show a useful replay. By the time you have to make a decision you may not have had a chance to have someone look at a replay of an angle that gives you a definitive answer as to what happened on the play — and you also have to take your best guess as to how the officials will rule on the play.

I’ve also seen that often the assistant coach watching from upstairs and communicating with the bench for the first two periods comes down and is on the bench for the remainder of the game. Some teams may still have someone up there for the purpose of being able to look at replays and also to watch from above, but not always. In short we just don’t always know and it isn’t always consistent.