Hello Outstanding MEEOA Colleagues,

I hope this email finds you well and you are getting some of the sunnier, warmer weather that we are experiencing here in Farmington. I am not going to make any comment in regards to the future of our spring (remaining winter) as I will, surely, jinx things. But I am hopeful for more sunny and warm days in the near future.

I am writing to give some updates about the recent White House budget proposal for FY20-21 and how we can take action without even leaving our desks!

In case you have not heard, ten days ago, we received notice that the budget proposal for FY20-21 had been released and things do not look so optimistic for TRIO and Gear Up. However, I am optimistic in your ability and willingness to fight for the funding that helps keep our programs afloat and more importantly supports our students, for whom we do all of this imperative work. The proposal slashed funding to non-defense programs that support domestic priorities, such as education, housing, public health, low-income assistance, etc. The Administration has proposed roughly an $8.5 billion (or 12%) reduction to the U.S. Department of Education. Furthermore, last year's proposal to consolidate Gear Up and TRIO is back on the table, which would cut funding by roughly one third from the current combined funding total of these programs. In addition to the immediate threat to our programs, the budget proposal also poses serious threats to other minority-serving educational programs. Fortunately, it is Congress that controls the "power of the purse," and who will ultimately decide what happens to our programs.

While some of us are gearing up to head to Washington, D.C. for Policy Seminar with some fantastic Maine TRIO alumni, we understand that making that trip is not feasible for everyone. However, there is something you can do this week and in the coming weeks to support our programs and advocate for their futures. Following up the stellar representation we have had in the last few days between the Maine Calling segment featuring Lynn Ploof-Davis (UMF), Karen Keim (UMaine), and Katharine Lualdi (SMCC) and yesterday's Hall of Flags event attended by a variety of TRIO and Gear Up programs from around the state, we can use this momentum as we advocate with our House Representatives on the Hill.

In the House of Representatives, TRIO Caucus Co-Chair and TRIO Alumna Congresswoman Gwen Moore (D-WI) has been joined by Representatives Donald Payne Jr. (D-NJ) and Chris Smith (R-NJ) in leading the FY 2020 TRIO Appropriations Request Letter, calling for a significant increase in TRIO funding for the 2020-2021 program year. The letter can be read here. I encourage all of you to reach out to your House Representatives on behalf of our TRIO and Gear Up programs, and encourage them to sign onto this letter!

Next week in Washington, D.C. we will do our best to show our Legislators the impact of our programs and why we deserve to continue to be funded so we can continue with this powerful work. We have also seen the success in the past from all of you contacting your Legislators to advocate for our programs, so this is of utmost importance and is very much appreciated! I look forward to updating you all after we return with all of the information we receive while being in the Nation's capital. I am honored and grateful to be able to be there as one of our representatives of all of you.

If you have any questions or concerns at all, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Until next time,

Eric

--
Eric Pratt
Pronouns: He|Him|His

Academic Counselor
MEEOA Government Relations Chair
Upward Bound | University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
C: 207.314.5499 | W: 207.778.7279
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667