And in the close calls, Division I category: 42-1-2.

On Mar 11, 2019, at 5:14 PM, Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It doesn't happen that often.  I can only think of three occasions since the NCAA started holding championship tournaments.  (This of course gives me a chance to brag about something my beloved Big Red did fifty frippin' years ago)

In the 1969-70 season, Cornell went 29-0 and won the NCAA Div I championship.

In 1983-84, Bemidji did Cornell a little better, going 31-0 and winning the NCAA Div II championship.

In 1955-56, Clarkson went 23-0 but rejected an invitation to the NCAA tournament, because the NCAA would rule, or had ruled, several of their players ineligible for the tourney.  I believe this was because they had played a fourth varsity year, and back then the NCAA only allowed three.

Two close calls that I know of at the Div III level:

In 1993-94, Fredonia advanced through the first round of the NCAA Div III tournament with a 24-0-4 record, but lost the semifinal to eventual champion Wisconsin-River Falls.

In 2000-01, RIT got to the Div III championship game with a 27-0-1 record, but lost the final game to Plattsburgh.

Bill Fenwick

From: "Tom" <[log in to unmask] class="">
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday March 11 2019 1:54:08AM
Subject: Division III

OK, I know this remnant of a list serves NCAA Div I, but I still have to
put in a plug for the Div III Pointers from Stevens Point. They are
26-0-2 this season.  How often do you see any hockey team go through the
season undefeated?  They play 3rd ranked and rival St. Norbert this
weekend in the tournament quarterfinals.  If they win it all, it will be
an undefeated season, and that's pretty special at any level.

Tom Rowe
Stevens Point
I hope every guy is as happily married
as my wife tells me that I am.