This happened at least twice this year at Wisconsin home games -- on two Saturday nights in a row. Once a linesman, once a referee if I recall. In one case, after being attended by the trainer, the official completed the period, but did not return for the next period.

The NCAA rule is:

32.4 Unable to Continue - Should one of the appointed officials be unable to officiate because of sickness or accident, the remaining officials shall officiate the game. In the two-referee, two-linesman system, if a referee is unable to continue, a one-referee, two-linesman system is recommended. If a linesman is unable to continue, the two-referee, one-linesman system is recommended. In the two-referee, one-linesman system, conferences should establish a policy dealing with this issue.

A conference or supervisor of conference officials is allowed discretion to determine which system to utilize if an official is unable to continue due to injury or illness.

If an on-ice official accidentally leaves the ice or receives an injury that incapacitates the individual from discharging the duties of the job while play is in progress, the game shall be stopped immediately by a remaining on-ice official, unless one of the teams has the puck in a scoring position, in which case the play shall be allowed to be completed. If it is obvious that the injury sustained is of a serious nature, play shall be stopped immediately.

(note that the 3 official system -- 2 referees and 1 linesman is only for women's hockey)

  --david