Hi All,

Apologies if you are getting this message multiple times!

I thought I'd drop you all a quick note to let you know about upcoming
online, blended and short-term intensive GIS course offerings for both
undergrads and grad students at UMaine at Machias. First, I should mention
that our GIS I and II courses have been re-numbered to align with the Maine
Geospatial Institute course numbers, and we are now offering graduate
sections of each. Our courses are open to any major and employ hands-on,
problem-based learning and applied projects that can be tailored to student
interests and needs. The graduate courses are 3 credits rather than 4 and
include an additional literature review assignment, and projects can be
geared to contribute to thesis work.

The courses are below. Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any
questions!

Thanks,
Tora

*May Term*:

*GIS 204 Introduction to GPS (2cr)*
Covers basic principles of GPS/ GNSS technology and its uses, preparation
for field data collection, sources of error, methods used to minimize error
and prevent data loss, basic geodesy related to GPS and basic mapping
software. Students do several outdoor, hands-on activities with handheld
Garmin and Trimble receivers, as well as mapping activities in the
laboratory.
Short-term, on-campus intensive course the week of May 13th (with some
online prep May 10-12). Dorms are available for students for a fee for
students staying for the week.

*Fall Semester: *

*GIS Applications I:*
A comprehensive introduction to GIS principles and skills, focusing on
vector data creation, visualization and analysis with an overview of the
breadth of the field.
Undergrad (4cr): GIS 300-0020 (90069) with lab GIS 300-0022 (90070)
Graduate (3cr): GIS 500-0020 (90082)  with lab GIS 500-0022 (90083)
instructor permission required.
Blended: Online plus three on-campus sessions; students may attend in Orono
or Machias:
- Saturday Session 1: Orono Sept 7 OR Machias Sept 14
- Saturday Session 2: Orono Oct 26 OR Machias Nov 2
- Saturday Session 3: Orono Dec 7 OR Machias Dec 14

*GIS Applications II: *
Covers spatial analysis, surface modeling (including hydrology and
viewsheds), model building with raster data, basic spatial statistics,
spatial estimation, and intermediate cartographic design.
All Online; prereq GIS I or equivalent
Undergrad (4cr): GIS 400-0010 (90071) with lab GIS 400-0011 (90072)
Graduate (3cr): GIS 600-0010 (90073) with lab GIS 600-0011 (90074)
instructor permission required.

*GIS 426 Community Applications in Geographic Information Systems (4cr)*
The class takes on a multi-faceted service project for a community partner,
incorporating advanced GIS techniques, project planning and execution, and
visualization and presentation. Projects typically entail a wide array of
sub-projects, including natural resource, economics, design, community
planning and more. So, students can choose aspects that are of interest to
them. Past courses have undertaken regional sustainability plans, climate
vulnerability analysis, strategic planning for regional conservation
initiatives, and community-guided planning and zoning for unorganized
territories.
0010-LEC 81581 with 0011-LAB lab (81582)
All Online; prereq GIS II or equivalent or instructor permission

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson, PhD
Director/ Associate Professor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory, Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
(207) 255-1214

Need to make an appointment with Tora during office hours? Go to
http://bit.ly/toraofficehours

Like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis
Like the UMM Science Division on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ummscience/

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: