Colleagues,

Please share with potentially interested folks! Thanks!

page1image544

Job Posting | January 15, 2019

Position Starting As Soon as Qualified Candidate is Found

GEAR UP Maine Scholar Coach

Syntiro is a nonprofit that is home to a number of initiatives in education located in Readfield, Maine.

We are currently seeking a GEAR UP Maine Scholar Coach to work with our GEAR UP Maine Scholar Coaches team and the GEAR UP Maine Program Coordinator. The GEAR UP Maine Scholar Coach will provide services to eligible students from GEAR UP Maine high schools in northern Maine who are in the graduating class of 2020.

The ideal candidate will be familiar with the challenges students encounter entering their first year of postsecondary education including:

  • ●  first generation, low-income, minority, under-represented, and at-risk secondary student populations;

  • ●  strategies and best practices to improve graduation rates/retention and post-secondary education access and success including: admissions processes; financial aid and scholarship application processes; “right college fit”; and student engagement strategies.

    Experience working with and building relationships with older adolescents in a counseling, teaching, or mentoring capacity is highly desired.

    Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and in a team setting on an array of projects, are necessary.

    Qualifications:A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred. Experience navigating and collaborating with Maine institutes of higher education (eg. Student Support Services, Financial Aid, Academic Support, Admissions, Registrar’s Office) is highly preferred. Ability to prioritize and accomplish work in an efficient manner, even in the face of limited resources or conflicting and/or changing priorities is required.

    The GEAR UP Maine Scholar Coach is a full-time, time-limited position with competitive salary and benefits for the most qualified candidate. This position requires reliable transportation due to extensive statewide travel. Flexibility to work remotely and face-to-face-- including occasional nights and weekends-- is required. This position requires the ability to work in a fast paced and constantly changing environment.

This time limited position is funded annually by a federal grant ending in September 2021. The position will start as soon as a suitable candidate if found. Successful applicants will be required to complete the Syntiro College Access Professional Certification. A Maine criminal background check is required.

Candidates:Send letter of interest, resume and three names and contacts of reference to [log in to unmask].

Position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning January 28, 2019 with interviews starting the week of February 4, 2019.

Syntiro is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.

page2image7448

Debbie Gilmer | President
Syntiro
11 South Road Readfield, ME 04355
Cell phone: (207) 852-0992
Office: (207) 685-3171

"As long as we have free elections, this country has a chance. As long as the tide of decency swells in our electorate, we have a chance. As long as people organize, and people believe, this country has a chance." Dan Rather