Thank you for the feedback Shawn! I  am extremely grateful for your perspective - this is just what I was looking for!

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:12 PM Shawn Kimball <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
At Hampden Academy, I begin teaching Code.org's Computer Science Discoveries 2nd semester as an elective. I went to training this past summer. CS Discoveries begins with 3 or so weeks of problem-solving and defining computers/computing. Then there are Html, CSS, and Javascript units completing the first half of the course. The tools allow one to write code and see what it looks like in the same window.  If you have done Hour of Code, some tasks use the step-by-step process used in the course.

The program is a prescriptive, online course with constant reflection and discussion to help all students be successful.  There are complete lesson plans, teacher support resources, and much more. Projects at the end of each init and extensions for those who need or want more of a challenge.

At this point we are organizing our plan to require all 9th graders to take the CS Discoveries course. Currently, 10th to 12th graders can take AP Computer Science Principles and choose whether or not to take the AP exam.  Danielle Johnson is teaching that course.

Contact Jason Judd at [log in to unmask] for information about the Code.org programs, training, and much more.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist any further. Feel free to visit my classroom in March or later when we should best be able to let you know how things are going.

Shawn

Shawn Kimball, Teacher
Hampden Academy
Science & Technology