Hello Folks!

I hope this message finds you well on this cool, rainy day (at least, it's cool and rainy here in Farmington!). I am writing to inform you of some new developments regarding the government and our funding. Without further ado:

  • This omnibus bill also included a "continuing resolution" or "CR" that extends current funding through December 7 for the programs in the other FY 2019 appropriations bills that have not yet been enacted. This now gives legislators the opportunity to spend the next several weeks in their home States and Districts during the final weeks before the November midterm elections. This time represents the perfect opportunity for TRIO supporters to connect with their Members of Congress.

  • Additionally, all TRIO programs should have received their GANs by now and the Department of Education has decided that all TRIO grants, whether they accepted or declined the increase in students served, would still receive a 4.25% funding increase in their base. I understand this may seem curious, and you might be wondering what will come of it if you did decide to accept the increase, while those who declined appear to still be receiving the increase. I will reach out as soon as I hear anything regarding this situation.

  • In other exciting, special news: As you may have heard, thanks to a letter penned to Secretary DeVos by Senators Susan Collins, Angus Kind, and Representative Chellie Pingree, on behalf of the USM VUB, they have received refunding to their grant at almost $300,000 to serve 125 veterans. This is a great success!

Thank you all for your time and presumed attention! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns and I will be in touch as soon as I hear more!

Take care and stay warm!

Eric

--
Eric Pratt
Pronouns: He|Him|His

Academic Counselor
MEEOA Government Relations Chair
Upward Bound | University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street
Farmington, ME 04938
C: 207.314.5499 | W: 207.778.7279
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667