SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
207-780-4249       www.usm.maine.edu/planet

ASTRONOMY A LA CARTE
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
10:30 a.m.
# 5:  COMETS AND ASTEROIDS
($12 for one student;   $20  for two students
parents and younger siblings admitted free.)

We invite you to the next "Astronomy a la Carte" class on Wednesday, October 10th at 10:30 a.m.  Today's cosmic exploration brings us to comets and asteroids!     The class concludes with a showing of the exciting new planetarium program entitled "Impact!"

Consider the following questions:

ASTEROIDS
--When will the next asteroid strike Earth?
Will we know in advance if it's approaching and, maybe, do something about it?

-Which asteroid, named for an ill-fated mythological character, is also known as the solar system's pizza oven?

--How could a spacecraft maneuver through the main asteroid belt without being pulverized?

-How did scientists find water on the asteroid 24 Themis?

COMETS

-Where is Halley's Comet?  When will it return?

--What would happen if you landed on a comet and then jumped off?

--Is it true that some comets originate from other star systems?

We address all these questions and your questions, as well, at the next "Astronomy a la Carte!"
We look forward to seeing you here.