SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249      www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street    Portland, Maine 04103

CELESTIAL MYTHOLOGY
Thursday mornings
10:30 a.m. - noon
Five weeks
October 4 - November 1, 2018
[Enrollment:   $75.00;  $20.00 each individual class]

NIGHT SKY MYTHOLOGY
Tuesday evenings
6:30 0- 8:00 p.m.
Four weeks
October 16 - November 6, 2018
[Enrollment:   $70.00;  $20 each individual class]

So, what is the difference between "celestial mythology" and "night sky mythology?"  Well, that's an easy question to answer.    We're teaching "celestial mythology" during the day and "night sky mythology" at night.   As for mythology, itself...
 It is said -by whom we don't know- that we've retained ancient mythology because we are rational beings susceptible to irrational sentiments.

You know what we think of that?  Look down.
Bull-760x400.jpg
"Bring it, Theseus..."

We've retained ancient mythology because we humans have not for a single second ever truly stopped being humans.  Mythology is as thunderous and elemental as Earth, itself.  Every single mythological character from the  humblest hemadryad to Helios Hyperion himself lived in the most desperate earnest on or above a vast land teeming in equal measure with malevolent creatures and benign spirits.   We delight in a world where fairies still nestle in acorn cups and epic quests have become indelibly imprinted onto the starry firmament.      Accessing such a world is as simple as entering our subterranean star dome theatre where we -delusion of grandeur alert- can summon forth the midnight sky at 10:00 a.m.

So, if you would love to spend time with  the noble Perseus, malignant Medusa, conniving Circe, cunning Odysseus, the frenzied ladies of Dionysius, bold Hercules, fierce Theseus, accursed Oedipus, Sun-seeking Phaeton, regal Pegasus, and the innumerable other denizens of this unearthly, timeless, and lavishly adorned realm of magic, mischief and mayhem, we invite you to enroll in one of our mythology courses.

All four seasons covered!
About fifty constellations altogether!

Walk ins welcome.

For more information, contact [log in to unmask]
or call  207-780-4249