*ASTRONOMY A LA CARTE  (Day session)*
Wednesday mornings  10:30 a.m. - noon
in the Southworth Planetarium Star Dome
Starting Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Another Southworth Planetarium school year begins tomorrow with the very
first class of the "Astronomy a la Carte" series.    Tomorrow's topic  "The
Moon"

Spend an hour and a half in the dome of perpetual night and you will learn
the answers to the following questions

Does the moon rotate?
How much brighter is the full moon than quarter moon?
What is a Super Moon?
What is a Blue Moon?
Why is the moon pumpkin orange when it rises and sets?
Why is the moon red when eclipsed?
Is the moon moving away from us?
Why does the moon go through phases?
How long will the Apollo astronauts footprints remain on the lunar surface
provided they are undisturbed?
How does the moon affect tides?
and....
How far did Alan Shepherd's golf ball travel when he teed off on the moon?

Each student will receive a moon watcher's guide and we'll introduce you to
the phosphorescent star dome goddess Diana who is poised above the audience
along the arc of a crescent moon.  (And, yes, that is certainly
astronomical incorrect!)

$12 per student   ($20 for two students)

For more information please consult our web-site
www.usm.maine.edu/planet,  call us at 207-780-4249 or e-mail
 me at [log in to unmask]

Walk in registrations are welcome!

Note:  the Night session of "Astronomy a la Carte" begins on Monday,
September 24   7:00 - 8:30 p.m.

Hey!  Do you like to plan ahead?!
The Southworth Planetarium school year ends in 251 days with
MAY QUEST
May 20, 2019
at 10:00 a.m.
An fantasy/science adventure for one and all!
We'll keep you posted.