News from Maine Sea Grant | Summer 2018

*A note from our new Director, Gayle Zydlewski
<https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2018/03/05/maine-sea-grant-names-new-director/>*

“I am excited to join the Maine Sea Grant team and support marine science
for Maine people. I am so LUCKY to jump into such a well-established team
that continues to enhance our coast by extending sound science to our
communities. I look forward to working with the staff and endless partners
who make up the Sea Grant network (family). Collectively we are privileged
to have strong support from our federal delegation that sends us into a new
fiscal year full of new opportunities. Many of you have taken me up on the
opportunity to share your thoughts on how I can be an effective leader in
this new role. Please, continue to share your ideas: call (207-581-1422),
email
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>,
or catch me on campus. Let’s work together to make a difference for our
coastal communities.”

- Gayle Zydlewski

------------------------------
EDUCATION HIGHLIGHTS

*Congratulations* to graduating students!

   - Robert Boenish
   - Jacque Miller
   - Catherine Thompson
   - Aliya Utenova
   - Dongmei Xie

*Congratulations* to recipients of the 2018-2019 Maine Sea Grant undergraduate
scholarship in marine sciences
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/funding/msg-undergraduate-scholarship>:

   - Rachel Bonney, Joseph Denny, Kai La Spina, Elizabeth Piotrowski
   (University of Maine)
   - Emma Ober (College of the Atlantic)
   - Michele Condon, Austin Flanigan (University of New England)
   - Maggie MacMahon (Maine Maritime Academy)

*Welcome to Hanna Deon*, science communications assistant based at the Darling
Marine Center <https://dmc.umaine.edu/> this summer.
------------------------------
OUTREACH & EXTENSION HIGHLIGHTS

*Congratulations to Chris Bartlett*, who received the Natural Resources
Protector and Educator Award from The Commons
<http://www.thecommonseastport.com/> in Eastport.

*Congratulations to Kristen Grant*, who received the Outstanding Individual
Outreach Award from the Northeast Sea Grant Consortium
<http://web.mit.edu/seagrant/pubs/northeast/index.html> for the Southern
Maine Volunteer Beach Profile Monitoring Program.

*Congratulations to Dana Morse*, who received the Harvard Pilgrim
Foundation’s Healthy Food Champion Award
<https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/19/meet-the-2018-harvard-pilgrim-health-care-foundation-healthy-food-champion/>,
part of the Portland Press Herald’s Source Awards.

*Natalie Springuel just returned* from Newfoundland with College of the
Atlantic students, studying community resiliency in outports impacted by
the cod moratorium
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/index.php/extension/Newfoundland> of 26
years ago.

*The Signs of the Seasons* New England Phenology Program, coordinated by
Esperanza Stancioff and Beth Bisson with assistance from Elisabeth Maxwell,
provides data to advance climate change research, improves understanding of
climate science, and increases climate stewardship activities in Maine and
New Hampshire. In 2017, volunteer observers made more than 850 site visits
and recorded more than 42,000 observations of the program’s 19 indicator
species in Maine and New Hampshire, including rockweed and common loon.
>>Read the full 2017 activity report
<https://extension.umaine.edu/signs-of-the-seasons/2018/06/01/activity-report-now-available/>
.
------------------------------
RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS

*Ready Seafood has announced* that they will provide the funding to
continue the study of lobsters in deep water
<https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/05/lobster-dealer-funds-extended-research-on-habitat-question-whats-happening-to-the-babies/>,
a project by UMaine researcher Richard Wahle that was supported by Sea Grant
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/research/projects/deepwater-lobster-settlement>
 for the first two years.
>>For the latest on American lobster trends, see the American Lobster
Settlement Index update
<https://umaine.edu/wahlelab/resource/alsi-update-2017/>.

*The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission* has modified its stock
assessment for Northern shrimp based on Maine Sea Grant research findings.
Northern shrimp (Pandalus borealis) are an important species in the Gulf of
Maine ecosystem. Since 2010, however, the stock has declined precipitously,
and the fishery has been closed since 2013. Yong Chen of the University of
Maine has been working to improve the models used for stock assessments
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/research/projects/shrimp-and-herring-models>
 by incorporating the size of the animals and other aspects of their
biology. In a separate project
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/research/projects/dv/shrimp-habitat>, Sea
Grant program development funds supported the purchase of temperature and
depth loggers, which were deployed during the state’s shrimp sampling
program. The ASMFC has incorporated the temperature data and new
size-structured assessment model for use in the stock assessment.

*Sea Grant research on storms* and related coastal impacts is featured in
the latest issue of UMaine Today
<https://umainetoday.umaine.edu/stories/2018/sea-monsters/>.
------------------------------
EVENTS

*17 July* | Sea-Run Fish of Cobscook Bay
<https://www.thecclc.org/community-events/> | *Cobscook Community Learning
Center*

*27 July* | Voices of the Maine Fishermen’s Forum II
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/coastalconversations> | *Coastal
Conversations on WERU Community Radio*

*10-12 August* | Maine Boat & Home Show <https://maineboats.com/boatshow> |
*Rockland*

*24 August* | Schoodic to Schoodic Landscape Conservation
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/coastalconversations> | *Coastal
Conversations on WERU Community Radio*

*25 August* | Head Harbor Passage Seabird Trip
<https://maineaudubon.coursestorm.com/course/head-harbor-passage> | *Maine
Audubon + Eastport Windjammers*

*Ongoing* | Beholdings Exhibit
<https://mdihistory.org/visit-us/museums-and-gardens/beholdings-fourteen-introductions-to-the-history-around-us/>
 | *Mount Desert Island Historical Society Somesville Museum*

*Ongoing* | Lobstering & The Maine Coast
<http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/exhibits/lobstering-maine-coast/> | *Maine
Maritime **Museum*
------------------------------
PUBLICATIONS & MEDIA

*Natalie Springuel was quoted* by the *Press Herald* in a story about
cruise ship tourism
<https://www.pressherald.com/2018/06/10/some-in-maine-fear-cruise-ship-tourism-has-gone-overboard>
.

*Research by Doug Rasher*, Thew Suskkiewicz, and Bob Steneck is part of
Wendy Mitman Clarke’s story “For the love of science and sailing” in *Cruising
World <https://www.cruisingworld.com/science-and-sailing>*. Read more about
the project in *Maine Biz
<http://www.mainebiz.biz/article/20180308/NEWS01/180309949/bigelow-lab-to-study-future-of-kelp-in-rapidly-changing-gulf-of-maine>*

*Maine’s Climate Future* and other Sea Grant climate resources cited
by the *Bangor
Daily News
<https://bangordailynews.com/2018/04/28/opinion/look-ahead-to-the-vulnerability-of-maines-coast/>*
 and the *Maine Sunday Telegram
<https://www.pressherald.com/2018/06/03/with-yet-another-dry-may-just-when-gardeners-need-the-rain-its-deja-vu-all-over-again/>*
.

*Heart of the Sea*, an article about the lake lives of river herring
<https://maineboats.com/print/issue-152/heart-sea>, in *Maine Boats, Homes
& Harbors Magazine*.

*New!! Sea-Run Fishes of Maine
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/publications/fish-poster>* posters
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/publications/fish-poster>, featuring
artwork by Karen Talbot, are available. Stop by our office or give us a
call if you’d like one.

*Five interpretive panels* about the ecology, history, and restoration of
the Bagaduce River watershed have been installed at Pierce’s Pond
<http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/publications/bagaduce-fishway-panels> in
the Town of Penobscot.

Maine Sea Grant College Program | 5784 York Complex Building 6 | The
University of Maine | Orono, ME 04469
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>

​[image: Inline image 2] <http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/>

[image: Inline image 7] <http://www.facebook.com/MESeaGrant> [image: Inline