From: Marla Stelk [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 11:43 AM
To: Young, Joseph <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Reminder: Invitation to ASWM’s American Wetlands Month Webinar, Tomorrow, May 30, 3pm ET: Measuring the Economic Benefits and Cost Effectiveness of Coastal Wetlands and Ecosystems

[https://sable.madmimi.com/view?id=18224.1117938.1.e0fff843db955263f0f9f9c96555eec1]

Dear Wetlanders: We are pleased to invite you to join us for our next Hot Topics webinar on Wednesday, May 30th at 3:00 p.m. eastern, 2:00 p.m. centr

[Rectangle: Rounded Corners: Web Version]Web Version<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15244.1.b85ec73b8e4750a060ead269e356fa2c&p=eyJ7e21pbWktc2lnbmF0dXJlfX0iOiIxNDU1MTkyMDYtNjQ1NTMyODAxMS04OGQzNjE4MGUwOGRlYmZmMjRmYTdjMmIxOWQ5YjNjMmIxMWFkNjY5Iiwie3tlbWFpbElkfX0iOiIxMTE3OTM4In0=>

Dear Wetlanders:

We are pleased to invite you to join us for our next Hot Topics webinar on Wednesday, May 30th at 3:00 p.m. eastern, 2:00 p.m. central, 1:00 p.m. mountain, 12:00 p.m. pacific, 11:00 a.m. Alaska, and 10:00 a.m. Hawaii time. We will wrap up our celebration of American Wetlands Month by hosting Michael Beck and Siddharth Narayan who will present on Measuring the Economic Benefits and Cost Effectiveness of Coastal Wetlands and Ecosystems. This informative webinar will discuss findings from two groundbreaking reports that show how investments in nature-based infrastructure can meet multiple objectives for environmental restoration, adaptation and flood risk reduction as well as result in millions of dollars in savings from storm damages. This webinar is proudly sponsored by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and NOAA. More information about the presentation can be found below.

To register for the webinar, go to https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/300601371970111745<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15245.1.5e2eeaec971bd439c4bef6bfa39498e2>

Measuring the Economic Benefits and Cost Effectiveness of Coastal Wetlands and Ecosystems

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 3pm ET

Presenters:
▪ Michael Beck, The Nature Conservancy and University of California, Santa Cruz
▪ Siddharth Narayan, University of California, Santa Cruz

[***]

Abstract:

In 2016, the release of the report “Coastal Wetlands and Flood Damage Reduction: Using Risk Industry-based Models to Assess Natural Defenses in the Northeastern USA” gained international attention. In the report the authors quantified the economic benefits of coastal wetlands in reducing property damage from storms and flooding in the northeastern United States. Using risk industry models, they estimated that coastal wetlands saved more than US$ 625 million in avoided flood damages from Hurricane Sandy across the northeastern USA. Just this spring, a second report was released entitled “Comparing the cost effectiveness of nature-based and coastal adaptation: A case study from the Gulf Coast of the United States.” This report also shows that investments in nature-based adaptation could meet multiple objectives for environmental restoration, adaptation and flood risk reduction. In this presentation, Michael Beck and Siddharth Narayan will share their research, methods and findings from these two studies.

[***]

Bios:

[Beck bodyshot 2 2014 2]

Michael Beck
Michael Beck is the Lead Marine Scientist at TNC and adjunct Professor in Ocean Sciences at the University of California Santa Cruz. Mike focuses on building coastal resilience in the interface between risk reduction and conservation. His approach is multi-disciplinary across ecology, engineering and economics. Mike has authored more than sixty peer-reviewed publications. His work covers topics from the role of coral reefs in reducing risks from storms to the effects of people on extinctions of Pleistocene mammals. He has also published numerous popular articles including Op-eds in the NY Times, Miami Herald, Huffington Post and the Caribbean Journal. He was a Fulbright Fellow at the University of Sydney and in 2012 Mike was also selected as a Pew Marine Conservation Fellow.

[Sid]

Siddharth Narayan
Siddharth Narayan (Sid) is a Research Scientist in Coastal Adaptation and Nature-based Solutions. A civil and coastal engineer, hailing from Chennai in southern India, he is based at the University of California Santa Cruz and works with Michael Beck, lead marine scientist at The Nature Conservancy. Sid's research interests focus on modelling interactions between natural and human coastal systems, to help develop sustainable measures for coastal adaptation. At present, he works closely with insurance risk modelers, ecologists and engineers to assess the role and value of wetlands for reducing flood risk and damages to people and property.

[***]

[Gardner Samuels]

Hot Topics Webinar Recording from February 9, 2018 is Available
What's next for Waters of the U.S. (WOTUS)?

Presenters:
▪ Royal Gardner, Stetson University School of Law
▪ Stephen Samuels, Retired, U.S. Dept. of Justice

You can access the recording at https://www.aswm.org/aswm/aswm-webinarscalls/10105-2018-past-aswm-s-hot-topics-webinar-series#feb9webinar<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15246.1.59b1f9997194e21a4f91f9f54fefc347>

[***]

Register Here<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15247.1.0e187d678b355a6b36d87ae30766613f>

A Certificate of Participation to be used toward Continuing Education Credits will be available for this webinar. Go to https://www.aswm.org/aswm/aswm-webinarscalls/9887-about-certificates-of-participation<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15248.1.0bd72b814b74c47ed78b3efc4ec9293e> for more Information.

[***]

We hope you will join us in our final celebration of American Wetlands Month tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Marla J. Stelk
Assistant Director
Association of State Wetland Managers
207.892.3399
Fax 207.894.7992
http://aswm.org<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15249.1.db0d9a6c16e09c3242b40b6be9c4e4d7>

©2018 Association of State Wetland Managers | 32 Tandberg Trail, Ste. 2A, Windham, ME 04062

[Rectangle: Rounded Corners: Preferences]Preferences<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15250.1.33cc2aad559bc9c2f659fcded77760a4&p=eyJ7e21pbWktc2lnbmF0dXJlfX0iOiIxNDU1MTkyMDYtNjQ1NTMyODAxMS04OGQzNjE4MGUwOGRlYmZmMjRmYTdjMmIxOWQ5YjNjMmIxMWFkNjY5Iiwie3ttZW1iZXItaWR9fSI6NjQ1NTMyODAxMSwie3tlbWFpbElkfX0iOiIxMTE3OTM4In0=>   [Rectangle: Rounded Corners: Subscribe] Subscribe<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15251.1.68b252a67563b232e6f9fcb45189c073&p=eyJ7e21pbWktc2lnbmF0dXJlfX0iOiIxNDU1MTkyMDYtNjQ1NTMyODAxMS04OGQzNjE4MGUwOGRlYmZmMjRmYTdjMmIxOWQ5YjNjMmIxMWFkNjY5Iiwie3ttZW1iZXItaWR9fSI6NjQ1NTMyODAxMSwie3tlbWFpbElkfX0iOiIxMTE3OTM4In0=>   [Rectangle: Rounded Corners: Forward] Forward<https://sable.madmimi.com/c/18224?id=1117938.15252.1.7e79afe1d76a5f5da328633e276bdc81&p=eyJ7e21pbWktc2lnbmF0dXJlfX0iOiIxNDU1MTkyMDYtNjQ1NTMyODAxMS04OGQzNjE4MGUwOGRlYmZmMjRmYTdjMmIxOWQ5YjNjMmIxMWFkNjY5Iiwie3ttZW1iZXItaWR9fSI6NjQ1NTMyODAxMSwie3tlbWFpbElkfX0iOiIxMTE3OTM4In0=>   [Rectangle: Rounded Corners: Unsubscribe] Unsubscribe<https://go.madmimi.com/opt_out?fe=1&pact=1117938-145519206-6455328011-88d36180e08debff24fa7c2b19d9b3c2b11ad669&amx=6455328011>