Email from our president:

I am thrilled to announce, along with Athletic Director Heather Weems, that Brett Larson will be the new head coach of men’s Huskies Hockey at St. Cloud State. The program will continue a tradition of excellence under his leadership giving the university yet another reason to be excited as we enter our sesquicentennial year of celebration in the fall.

Larson joins the staff at St. Cloud State with a decorated college hockey coaching resume that includes helping lead NCHC rival Minnesota Duluth to one of its most successful runs in the history of that program – including the 2011 NCAA Championship and the 2018 NCAA National Championship in which the Bulldogs beat Ohio State and Notre Dame.

There will be a press conference at 2 p.m. today in the Husky Den at the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center. On Monday, April 16, I invite all of campus to welcome Coach Larson to the community at 2 p.m. in the Atwood Memorial Center Fireplace Lounge. We will have a short program followed by lemonade and cookies and opportunity to meet the newest member of our Huskies pack.

Throughout the search for a new head coach, Brett’s name continually came up as a must-contact and he is well-respected across the hockey community. He is the third coach at St. Cloud State in the history of the University’s NCAA Division I men’s hockey program, and SCSU’s 17th head coach since the program stared intercollegiate play in 1931-32.

I want to thank members of the search committee who helped find our new men’s Huskies Hockey leader following the departure of Bob Motzko.

Again, welcome Coach Larson and Go Huskies!