ASTRONOMY IN THE UK
March 9 - 17, 2018
A USM Spring Break Travel Course

[INFORMATIONAL SESSION :   Thursday, October 12         4:30 p.m   or    7:30 p.m
at the Southworth Planetarium ]

Stonehenge

AST 100   [Satisfied the Science Exploration core requirement.  Lab component can be taken before or after this travel program.]

Learn astronomy and visit historical astronomical sites in England in this one-week travel course.    Visit Stonehenge or nearby -and even larger- Avebury; see the Royal Greenwich Observatory (home of the Prime Meridian of longitude); the house where William Herschel discovered the planet Uranus in 1781; the observatory of Norman Lockyer, who discovered the element helium in 1868, a decade before it was known on Earth.

We will have the historic city of Winchester -ancient capital of Wessex (Saxon England) and home to the famous Winchester Cathedral and the Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium -as our base.   From there we shall take day trips to London, Bath, and other astronomically important sites.  At each of these places we'll have tours and lectures about the important astronomical significance of the work done there.

The program fee is estimated to be between $2,600 - 2,700.
This includes accommodation, airfare, in-country transport, site visits, some meals and international insurance.  The cost of three credits of tuition and free at the in-state rate are additional.

To apply please visit:      usm.maine.edu/international/travel-astronomy

For more information, please contact     [log in to unmask]