Remember when I promised to leave you alone?

Ok, I believe this will be the last transmission until September 1st, unless, of course Antares goes supernova around the time that astronomy is declared the official global religion, thereby precipitating an imminent continent-obliterating asteroid impact.

We have sold out of the eclipse glasses which, of course, you probably already figured out despite the cryptic phrasing of today's e-mail.  We have soured a lot of souls this morning and turned down generous offers (perpetual youth, undiminished vitality, and crates of Yukon champagne -turns out that last one was just a joke-)  in exchange for eclipse glasses.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Now that we've slobbered all over you with our profuse apologies, why don't we offer some practical advice.   Make your own viewer!

I know you can read the graphic so I won't explain it.  However, just a few notes that I hope will be helpful:

1.  One wouldn't want to make the hole in the foil too big.  A small pinprick will suffice.

2.  Best to have white paper on the inside, but one can use other colored paper as well if nothing else is available.  Remember that you want the screen to reflect as much light as possible.

3.  Unless you've always wanted to feel like a condemned 18th century French aristocrat, you shouldn't carve a small hole in the box bottom and then stick your head through it.   Just leave the bottom open. The upper part of the box will shield most of the light.

If you have any eclipse questions, please feel free to call us at 207-780-4249 or e-mail [log in to unmask]

If it is any consolation, we're going to start stocking up on eclipse glasses next year in preparation for the April 8, 2024 total solar eclipse.

Edward
Southworth Planetarium