THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249         www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street    Portland, Maine 04103

*NIGHT*

* OF EIREThursday, March 16, 20176:30 - 8:30 p.m.*

*​*A planetarium program commemorating the old spirit of St. Patrick's
Day.
While the upper world convulses with the tumult of St, Patrick's Day
revelers, the Southworth Planetarium will commemorate the holiday with a
more elegiac and celestial observance:  an event that blends the ancient
Irish elements of stones, stories and stars.    This program represents an
amalgam of stone circles; celestial mythology; and Irish legends.     Our
stone circle scholar, Lawrence Price, will guide you through some of
Ireland's most exquisitely beautiful and storied stone circles: such as
Lough Crew, the witch's hill; and the Hill of Tara, which has witnessed the
coronations of 142 ancient Irish kings. Also, the colossal Newgrange,
designed to capture the solstice sunrise and, astonishingly, the moon
cycles.

Enjoy Michele's Cheung's tales from Eire: an ancient world pervaded by
sorcery and mysticism.  Sagas and songs from the island of old world story
weavers.

We then turn our star projector westward: admiring the old Irish
constellations:  Laoch Caithete Saighead, the "Hero of the thrown arrows,"
or the river goddess Boann,    We conclude our evening under the heavens:
to admire the sky of the ancients.

Though the night of St. Patrick's Day eve promises to be furious and
frenetic on Portland's surface  we summon you down into the shadowy
underworld to immerse yourself in the spirit and magic of ancient Ireland.

Admission by donation:  (suggested donation   $5 - 7).
Call 207-780-4249    or e-mail  e <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask]  to reserve your space or for more information