A combination of being too stunned and too busy with work/family has made it hard for me to reply until now but I wanted to say something...

Thank you to everyone who posted Adam Wodon's article about Wayne -- he captured it more succinctly than I would have. What Wayne meant to us and the hockey world cannot be underestimated.

When Wayne took over the list from me in 1990, I think he saw potential that I hadn't seen -- and under his guidance it rose to heights I couldn't have imagined. The influence he and Hockey-L have had continues to this day.

That potential included the tremendous community that developed and that everyone here is a part of. It could have gone in a multitude of directions. Wayne recognized the value in community contributions and fostered it every day. It could not have become what it did without him.

What I find myself most sad about is the loss of a good man, taken far too soon. Wayne should have had many more years of enjoying life, family, retirement. He worked tirelessly in so many ways to earn it. I have an empty feeling at the thought that it won't happen, and that everyone he meant so much to will miss him so much.

For me, I came to look forward each year to trips up to Orono to broadcast games in large part to meet up with him again. First while he was an usher and we'd stand on the concourse talking about our families and hockey. Later when he stopped ushering and would come up to the booth to say hello. I knew he just wanted to wave and not interrupt, and often we'd be in our pregame when he came up at those times, but I always dropped the headset to let my radio partner take over so I could step aside and talk for a bit, and I'm glad I did. And at the same time, sad I didn't have more time to do it.

The last time I saw him was the first game of a two game series in February at Alfond. The second night he wasn't there and later emailed me to apologize for not being there as he didn't feel well (as if he had to do that). He didn't let on too much about things but did sound like he knew the road ahead would be a challenging one. I told him we'd be praying and thinking of him, and I suppose I wanted to believe he was overstating things. But he knew.

I'm certainly glad that Wayne gave the list a new home and took what I started to a new level. But more than that I'm glad we were friends. I miss him and probably always will. Every time I go up there I'll be thinking of him.

Peace Wayne, if anyone deserves it you do.
---
Mike Machnik
Merrimack Radio
College Hockey News