Hello!
We know that these announcement e-mails are bothersome.   You only signed
up to receive posts from the Daily Astronomer and not from the Southworth
Planetarium's propaganda machine.   So, whenever we do post an
announcement, we'll include some astronomy.   In so doing, we hope that
these announcement posts won't be entirely in-box flannel.

First:
We have had to postpone tonight's Astronomy Cafe until Monday, October 17
at 7:00 p.m.   Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Now, then...

NIGHT SKY WATCHER TIPS

New to night sky watching?  Well, yes, we know you've been watching the
night sky ever since you were knee high to a nanometer.   However, if you
want to turn sky watching into a self-destructive habit, we offer these
tips that we hope will render the experience all the more pleasant.

DARKNESS FIRST
We often talk about light pollution in large cities and their adjacent
suburbs.  Well, one can also experience light pollution while reclining
next to a lamp or a television.   Prior to venturing outside, sit in a dark
room for 5 - 10 minutes to allow your pupils time to expand.

OVER DRESS FOR THE OCCASION
If you're living among curling palms and white sand beaches and all you
need to keep  warm is your upper epidermis, this tip might not apply to
you.  On the other hand,  if you inhabit one of the mid-latitude shires,
then you know the nights are becoming a bit frosty.    If you are watching
the night sky either through telescopes or just with the unaided eyes, over
dress.  Wear more layers than you think you'll need.   Even though a sky
watcher's mind soars unfettered through the unbounded infinite, the body
remains planted on terra firma.  You will often have to be stationary to
behold the great black beyond.    The Universe becomes dramatically less
wondrous if you can't feel your nose and fingertips.

BRING A FRIEND (OR FRIENDS)
It is true that one can derive profound enjoyment from night sky watching
all on one's own...especially in a dark, tree embowered enclave far removed
from foolish mortals.  If you are not a spirit of a different sort, you
might find it pleasant to be in the company of others while admiring the
night sky.    You will find that, unless you're a character in a
planetarium show and are thus speaking stilted and forced dialogue, the
conversations will naturally flow toward and away from astronomy.
Wonderful thing about the watching the night sky is that the night sky will
sometimes become incidental.

CHARTS AND RED LIGHT: ASTRONOMERS DELIGHT
We advise you to bring a star chart with you and a red flashlight.  Or, a
regular flashlight with a red gel.   The red light is helpful because it
will allow you to study your star chart while not diminishing your dark
adaptation.    Red light is the best light to use in astronomy.       If
you don't have a red light, you may use a flashlight, but you might be
frustrated at how quickly a flash of light can reduce the visibility.

PLANETS AND STARS
How to tell the difference?

Planets don't twinkle.    Stars do.   The technical term for "twinkling" is
scintillation.  Stars are pinpoint light sources, but planets are discs.
Scintillation affects pinpoints more than discs because the light on the
disc is more concentrated.

We know that people will also have phone apps that will show them how the
sky appears (even under the ground.)   These are very helpful, too, because
they will often provide constellation overlays and will identify visible
satellites.     Obviously, such applications will enhance the experience,
as well.

Even if you lack such assistance, you will find the night sky to be
abundant in riches, as it has been for the thousands of generations of
humans who preceded us.