THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street  Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
            "Unexpect the expected."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, June 24. 2016
Quiz: 2016.....so far

Unbelievably, in about eight days, one half of 2016 will be over: packed in
shrink wrap, stored in a closest and lied about in history books.  It was
only about a week ago that we were staggering around our homes and recovering
from the latest New Year's celebrations!  (Due to budget constraints, the
typical New Years' celebration in Portland involves little more than
unconstrained respiration.)

Today, we celebrate the half that is almost done with this quick current
events quiz!

1. Just yesterday, the majority of the citizens in ________________ voted
to have their nation leave the European Union.
a.  U.K.
b.  Germany
c.  Spain
d.  France

2.  Ok, the morbid question:  which ONE of the following celebrities did
not die in 2016?
a. David Bowie
b. Prince
c. Anton Yelchin
d. Natalie Cole
e.  Wayne Rogers

3.  The United Nations declared 2016 to be the International Year of
_____________.
a.  Gravity
b.  Pulses
c.  the Climate
d.  Children

4.  On January 3, Saudi Arabia formerly announced the serverance of
diplomatic ties with _________
a.  the United States
b. Yemen
c.  Iran
d.  Australia

5. Ok, which team won Superbowl L (50)?
a.  New England Patriots
b.  Denver Broncos
c.  Seattle Seahawks
d.  Green Bay Packers

6. What is the highest grossing movie in 2016 so far?
a.  Deadpool
b. Finding Dory
c.  Captain American: Civil War
d, Zootopia

7. The 2016 Summer Olympics is scheduled to be held in _________________
a.  Berlin
b.  Mexico City
c.  Cairo
d.  Rio de Janeiro

8. Although I will never fully redeem myself, what is the Roman numeral
equivalent of 2016?
a.  MMXIV
b.  MMXVI
c.  MMXXVI
d.  MMXV

9.  In February 2016, the first observation of ________________ (actually
made in 2015) was announced.
a.  muon neutrinos
b.  a triple neutron star system
c.  gravitational waves
d.  Manitoba

10.  After twenty years of construction, the Gotthard Base Tunnel opened in
________________ and runs under the Alps.
a.  Switzerland
b.  France
c.  Germany
d.  Belgium

1.  a.   U.K.
Prime Minister David Cameron, a staunch supporter of the "remain campaign"
announced his resignation once the results of the "Brexit" referendum were
announced.

2. e.  Wayne Rogers    (died on December 31, 2015)

3.  b  Pulses

*FROM WIKIPEDIA: An International Year designation provides an
unprecedented opportunity to raise awareness and to celebrate the role of
beans, chickpeas, lentils and other pulses in feeding the world. Even more
importantly, it will be a galvanizing moment to draw together key actors to
further the contributions pulses make to health, nutrition, and
sustainability.**Puul*ses

Coied
4.
4. c.  Iran

c.  Iran4
4. 5. 5. b.  Denver Broncos
Yes, the NFL followed the script and handed the Superbowl victory to Peyton
Manning and his Denver Broncos, thereby allowing him to retire at an apex.
So, this coming season, Peyton Manning will not be playing.  Alas, the NFL's
loss is the American Museum of Natural History's gain, isn't it, AW?

6.c.  Captain American: Civil War
It is the highest grossing movie domestically and globally.

7. d.  Rio de Janeiro

8.  b.  MMXVI

9. c.  gravitational wavesc. gravitational waves

10. a.  Switzerland

c.  gravitational waves