*THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM 207-780-4249 <207-780-4249>
 www.usm.maine.edu/planet <http://www.usm.maine.edu/planet> 70 Falmouth
Street  Portland, Maine 04103 43.6667° N,                    70.2667° W
Founded January 1970*

*          "Putting the 'hyacinth' back in 'surreal.'"*

*THE DAILY ASTRONOMER*

*Tuesday. June 7. 2016*

*Renegade Planets *
We're rummaging though Pandora this week to answer the questions that have
been languishing for longer than we intended.  We love questions to the
point of unhealthy obsession, so please send as many as you want.    Only
pesky time constraints cause us to neglect them.   We are striving to empty
Pandora's Jar so completely that only the residue of hope remains within
it.     This aim we will likely never achieve, much to our delight.

Today, we address a subscriber's questions pertaining to renegade planets
and their possible relation to asteroids.

*If a renegade planet is hurtling at such a speed through a galaxy that has
many stars and other planets, the likelihood of a renegade planet colliding
with something has enough chance to bear merit right ? And if it collided
into something, the collision could/would take away matter and mass,
slowing it down and potentially sending it in a different direction than it
was originally on a path for. Is it possible that some asteroids used to be
renegade planets ?  -Alyssa H, Standish, ME.*

Greetings!
Astronomers estimate that the Milky Way Galaxy might contain billions of
renegade (also called 'rogue,' 'nomadic,' or 'starless') planets that are
in orbit around the galactic nucleus and not gravitationally bound to a
star.   These planets might have once belonged to a larger system, but
were  propelled out of the system due to close planetary interactions.
Also, some of these 'planets' might have formed from nebulae and are
therefore labeled as "sub-brown dwarfs."*

Unfortunately, most of these planets would be very difficult to detect as
they are not reflecting starlight and, considering that they've been
wandering around interstellar space for a long time, quite cold and
dark.      However, based on current estimates, let's assume that our
galaxy might harbor about 200 billion rogue planets.         This number is
indeed substantial.    Is a rogue planet collision probable?    To answer
this question, we must now calculate the density of rogue planets: the
number of rogue planets within a given volume.        A very rough
calculation:  Our galaxy's volume is about 20,000,000,000,000 cubic light
years!      By simple division, we can conclude that we could expect one
rogue planet within 100 cubic light years of space!    This equal to a
sphere with a 2.9 light year radius.        That is an immense volume for a
single rogue planet to occupy!    As an analogy, the distance separating
rogue planets (and, for that matter stars) is equal to the distance
separating five bees if they were scattered in different places along all
of North America.   The probabilities of a rogue planet collision, while
not zero -hardly anything is- is still vanishingly small.

This improbability notwithstanding,  could the asteroids have been remnants
of colliding rogue planets?   Again, highly unlikely.  In the first place,
the combined mass of all the known asteroids is less than that of any
designated planet.    Although we tend to envision asteroid belts as being
dense swarms of rocks, the asteroid belt in our solar system is quite
diffuse.

We cannot discount any possibility. And, it is certainly possible that
colliding rogue planets would create smaller fragments,  Although the
energy involved in such collisions would likely vaporize most of the
material, which would then form another world.

This having all been said, your question was quite thoughtful and could
describe what might happen to proximate rogue planets in other parts of the
Universe.

*The closest such object, named WISE 0855−0714, is only seven light years
from Earth.

**This rapid calculation does not take into account the variable stellar
densities within the galaxy.  More stars within the arms than in regions
separating them, for instance.