THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street  Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N,                    70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
            "Well, we've caught up to yesterday."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday. May 20, 2016
Quiz:  Night Sky in Jeopardy

Hello!
Today, we offer simple, sweet and, well, I guess just simple and sweet
quiz: a Jeopardy style quiz about the night sky.   For those unfamiliar
with the Jeopardy format: we supply the answers and you must respond with a
question.

For example:    *Yes, actually, you are*.

Response

"Am I really spending time taking this quiz?"

*We wish you the best o' luck!*

"What is the trite statement that the planetarium fool would write just
before a St Patrick's Day Quiz?"

1. This constellation is depicted holding wheat.

2. This is the term applied to small objects from outer space that descend
onto Earth and land on the surface.

3. This planet's largest moons are Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.

4. This constellation is also known as the Plough man.

5.  This is the phase of twilight which occurs when the Sun is below the
horizon, but still within 6 - 12 degrees of it.

6.  This is the region from which short period comets originate.

7.  The moon is in this lunar phase on nights when it rises an hour before
sunrise.

8.  If you live along the latitude 30 degrees North, Polaris (or, more
precisely, the North Celestial Pole) is this far above the northern horizon
(in degrees).

9.  The Sun appears occupy this constellation on the first day of summer.

10. This star's name means "Rival to Mars"

1.  What (Who) is Virgo the Maiden?

2.  What is 'meteorite?"

3.  What is Jupiter?

4.  What is Bootes?