Consider this to be one of those impossibly difficult situations with which
we trail-blazing continent conquerers must on occasion contend.   Today is
Earth day, but tomorrow marks the 400th anniversary of William
Shakespeare's death.    We therefore should offer a quiz about Earth, but,
then again, we should also offer a quiz about William Shakespeare.
After twelve hours of sleepless torment,  we finally decided to split
space-time and offer TWO quizzes.  However, in order to maintain the time
stream integrity (we don't know what that means, either), we have to post
the quizzes separately and one quiz should have no knowledge of the other.
It's like whenever Winston, the bald, puffy faced Brit, and Franklin
Delano, his well bred assistant, visit every six months to check the fire
extinguishers, they sense that we want to tell them something important,
but we never do.

*THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM*

*207-780-4249 <207-780-4249>       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.usm.maine.edu/planet> 70 Falmouth Street  Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N,                    70.2667° W Founded January 1970*

*              "Out there...."*

*THE DAILY ASTRONOMER*

*Friday, April 22, 2016*

*Quiz: Day of the Earth!*

*---------------------------------------------------*

*Celestial mythology is our topic today on "WMPG: Radio Astronomy"*

*Friday, April 22 at 1:00 p.m.*

*Kirk Rogers and Michele Cheung join the panel to discuss the sagas and
legends of the stars.*

*WMPG  90.9 FM  www.wmpg.org <http://www.wmpg.org>*

*If you miss the show, you can always listen to it later on the archive:*

*http://usm.maine.edu/planet/radio-astronomy-radio-program
<http://usm.maine.edu/planet/radio-astronomy-radio-program>  *

*---------------------------------------------------*

*April 22!  Earth Day!*

*Today, we celebrate our lives on the third rock:  its dynamic oceans,
shifting continents, towering summits, desiccated valleys, verdant
vegetation, complex life forms, as well as the boundless elemental energy
it exudes and the the copious stellar energies it absorbs.   There is never
a single dull moment on this turbulent world and we are delighted to be
minuscule parts of it .*

*We commemorate Earth day with, appropriately, a little quiz about Earth!*

*1.  We know that Earth is the third planet from the Sun.     Which of the
following statements about Earth is/are also true?   (Could be more than
one.)*

*a.  It is also the third largest planet in the solar system*

*b.  Its distance from the Sun constantly changes throughout the year*

*c.  Its day is slowly growing longer*

*d.  It is not perfectly spherical*

*2. True or false:     All of Earth's land masses (those above the sea)
could fit along the surface of the Pacific Ocean.*

*3.  What is the southernmost country in Central America?*

*a.  Panama*

*b.  Costa Rica*

*c. Guatemala*

*d. Honduras*

4.  How many mountain peaks on Earth exceed 24,000 feet in elevation?

a.  13

b. 46

c. 65

d. 80

5. The Great Barrier Reef is located where?

a.  Off the coast of Australia

b.  Off the coast of Brazil

c.  Off the coast of Madagascar

d.  Off the coast of Vietnam

6.  Imagine if someone could measure the energy released in an Earthquake
by sand grains.  If a magnitude 4 quake's released energy equals 4 grains
of sand, how many grains of sand  would a magnitude 8 quake equal?

a.  16

b.   1024

c.   2048

d. 3,125,000

7. What is an estuary?

a.  a watery area where an ocean mixes with a fresh body of water

b.  another name an ocean

c.  a sea that is located above 66 degrees North latitude

d.  a highly eroded beach

​

8.  Which country has the longest coastline?

a.  Canada

b.  United States

c.  Brazil

d.  Indonesia

9.   When is Earth closest to the Sun?

a.  the first week of January

b.  the middle of April

c.  June 21st

d.  September 21st

ANSWERS

1.  All the following statements are true:

*b.  Its distance from the Sun constantly changes throughout the year*

*c.  Its day is slowly growing longer*

*d.  It is not perfectly spherical*

*2.  True*

3.  *a.  Panama*

*4. *d. 80

5. a.  Off the coast of Australia

6. d. 3,125,000

7. a.  a watery area where an ocean mixes with a fresh body of water

8. a.  Canada

9.  a.  the first week of January

*THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM*

*207-780-4249 <207-780-4249>       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.usm.maine.edu/planet> 70 Falmouth Street  Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N,                    70.2667° W Founded January 1970*

*               "Where the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune are
manufactured and shipped to all parts of the world."*

*THE DAILY ASTRONOMER*

*Friday, April 22, 2016*

*William's World*

*---------------------------------------------------*

*Celestial mythology is our topic today on "WMPG: Radio Astronomy"*

*Friday, April 22 at 1:00 p.m.*

*Kirk Rogers and Michele Cheung join the panel to discuss the sagas and
legends of the stars.*

*WMPG  90.9 FM  www.wmpg.org <http://www.wmpg.org>*

*If you miss the show, you can always listen to it later on the archive:*

*http://usm.maine.edu/planet/radio-astronomy-radio-program
<http://usm.maine.edu/planet/radio-astronomy-radio-program>  *

*---------------------------------------------------*

*Tomorrow, April 23rd, marks the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare's
death.    Commemorations are planned all around the world to honor the man
often considered to be the world's greatest playwright.      *

*As we did earlier this year, we are participating in these celebrations
with a quick 10 question quiz.   Not all of the questions will pertain to
the plays, themselves.   We'll include a couple questions about the time
period in which William lived.*
*1. When William Shakespeare was born, Elizabeth I was the reigning
monarch.  Who was the reigning monarch when William Shakespeare died?*
*a.  Elizabeth I*
*b.  James I*
*c. Mary I*
*d. Charles I*

*2.  In which play did Shylock attempt to exact a pound of flesh from a
debtor?*
*a.  Two Gentlemen of Verona*
*b.  The Merchant of Venice*
*c.  Romeo and Juliet*
*d.  Titus Andronicus*

*3.______________ was the name of the court jester whose skull Hamlet
encounters in a graveyard.*
*4.  Whose last words prior to death were "I took by the throat the
circumcised dog,/ And smote him, thus?"*
*a.  Romeo*
*b.  King Lear*
*c.  Othello*
*d.  Falstaff*

*5. In what year was the first movie based on a Shakespearean
play produced?*
*a. 1899*
*b. 1911*
*c. 1916*
*d. 1920 *

*6.  Which of the following historical events occurred during Shakespeare's
lifetime?  (Could be more than one)*
*a.  The Gunpowder Plot*
*b.  The defeat of the Spanish Armada*
*c.   Church of England established*
*d.  The founding of the Jamestown colony in America*

*7. Believe it or not, Shakespeare wrote in Modern English, which followed
Middle English.   The period of Modern English is said to have begun around
which year?*
*a.  1450*
*b.   1510*
*c.   1560*
*c.    1583*

*8.  Which play featured the spirit Ariel and the grotesque creature
Caliban?*
*a.  A Mid Summer Night's Dream*
*b.  The Tempest*
*c.  Twelfth Night*
*d.  The Winter's Tale*

*9. The entire time -by the play's time stream- between the first meeting
of Romeo and Juliet and their deaths is how long?*
*a. three months*
*b. six weeks*
*c. 23 days*
*d.  less than a week*

*10. How many characters in all did Shakespeare create?*
*a.  980*
*b.  1109*
*c.  1277*
*d.  1776*

*ANSWERS*

*1. b. James I*
*(1603-1625)*

*2.  b. The Merchant of Venice*
*Of course the answer would be 2b  Ha Ha!*

*3.  Yorick*
*4. c. Othello*

*5.  a. 1899   (The film was "King John," which is now one of the bard's
lesser known plays.)*

*6.  a.  Gunpowder Plot (1605)*
*     b.   Spanish Armada (1588)*
*     d.   Founding of the Jamestown colony (1607)*

*The Church of England was established in 1531.   (Shakespeare was born in
1564)*

*7.  a.  1450*

*8.  b. The Tempest*

*9.  d.  less than a week*