THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street  Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N,                    70.2667° W
Founded January 1970

*              "A day without sunshine is, like, you know, night."*

*                                        -Steve Martin*

*THE DAILY ASTRONOMER*

*Monday, March 28, 2016*

*Stellar Pandora*

*"Fantastic Physics"  begins tomorrow!*

*A Southworth Planetarium day course that combines hands-on activities and
lectures to elucidate the fundamental principles of physics: the science of
how the world works!  *

*Six Tuesday mornings  10:30 a.m. - noon*

*http://usm.maine.edu/planet/fantastic-physics
<http://usm.maine.edu/planet/fantastic-physics>*

*------------------------------------------------------------*

*A triple Pandora event today!*

*We reached into Pandora's Jar to find three questions related to the
stars, the building blocks of our galaxy and Universe.     We still
consider it a three-saint miracle that humans were ever able to understand
stars in the first place, as they are so remote from us.  Recall that no
human has strayed more than about a quarter of a million miles from Earth,
while even the closest star, the Sun, is about 93 million miles away.
However, astronomy has enabled humans to understand the physics, life
cycles and various properties of the stars despite being confined to a
small world around an average star.*

*"I received an e-mail that said, 'Because it takes so long for their light
to reach Earth, many of the stars we see at night are long gone.'   Is this
statement true?"*

*-S. Kirk,  Richmond, VA*

*Most likely not.    It is true that stars are quite far away.  Also, even
light emanating from the closest stars requires years to reach us.  (The
light from Alpha Centauri, the closest star to our solar system, takes 4.2
years to travel to Earth.)   The most distant naked eye star, V762, a faint
variable star in Cassiopeia, is about 16,300 light years away. However, the
life spans of even the shortest-lived stars exceeds 10 million years.
These fleeting stars are the most luminous of the supergiants, as a star's
life span is inversely proportional to its mass and luminosity.  The more
massive and more luminous, the shorter the life cycle.      *

*Almost all of the stars we see with the unaided eye are intrinsically
bright stars. Many appear faint because of their distances.    However,
very few of them are at the end of their life cycles.  Two notable
exceptions are Betelgeuse (Orion the Hunter) and Antares (Scorpious the
Scorpion.)  These stars are highly massive red supergiants that will
eventually explode as supernovae within the next million years.   Of
course, they might have done so already, but still appear to us because the
light from such explosions would require centuries to reach Earth.
Betelgeuse and Antares are 620 light years and 550 light years away,
respectively.     *

* It is possible that Betelgeuse and/or Antares have gone supernova and no
longer exist.    The rest, however, are most likely still with us!*

*"Where is the nearest Sun-like star to the Sun?"*

*Surprisingly close!   First, we should explain that our Sun is a G2 V
star.    The "G2" refers to its spectral type.   Astronomers classify stars
according to their spectral types (or temperatures) which form a sequence
O B A F G K M,* with O stars being the hottest and M stars the coolest.
This sequence is futher calibrated numerically so, for instance, a G8 star
is slightly different from a G2 star.   The Roman numeral refers to a
star's luminosity class.   The "V" denotes 'dwarf' status.   Yes, though
the Sun is immensely large by our standards, it is actually a dwarf star.
(A bright giant is designated with II; a 'normal' giant with III.  A
luminous supergiant is assigned a Ia, to cite other examples.)    So, we
could say that any G2 V is certainly "Sun like."  The closest G2 V star is
Alpha Centauri A,  which, at distance of 4.2 light yeas,  is part of the
closest star system to the Sun.   Our closest neighbor is like the Sun.*

* Astronomers tend to pay close attention to such Sun-like stars because
many assume that they could be the parent stars of habitable planets.
Unfortunately, Alpha Centauri A is part of a ternary (three star) system
and so far no exo-planets have been discovered orbiting Alpha Centauri's
component stars.      However, the closest single "Sun-similar" (G8 V)
star, Tau Ceti (distance: 12 light years) has five known exo-planets, one
of which orbits within the star's "habitable zone," a region where
temperatures might be  conducive to life's development.     Although no
evidence of life has yet been found in the Tau Ceti system, astronomers are
searching for "bio signatures," indications of chemicals, such as methane
and molecular oxygen, which are associated with metabolic activity.     *

*"I know that astronomers have found a lot of planets around single stars.
Have planets been found around triple or quadruple stars?"*

*         John F.,  Portsmouth, NH*

*Yes!  Planets have been found around triple and quadruple star systems.
  In fact, astronomers found the first planet in a triple star systems in
2005! This planet was found within the star system HD 188753.   The planet
revolves around the primary.   The other two stars are locked in a tight
orbit away from the primary.     The triple star system GJ 667 possesses a
planet that is also locked in orbit around a single component with the
system.    *

*We also know of two quadruple star systems that have planets.  The first
was found in 2013 within the quadruple system KIC  4862625.    Astronomers
found another in the quadruple star system 30 Ari, which is about 136 light
years away within the constellation Aries.     In both systems, the planet
revolves around only one component star. *

* It is unlikely that astronomers will find a planet that orbits all the
stars within a multiple star system, as such orbits would be quite
unstable. *

**You can remember this sequence with the mnemonic  "Oh, Be A Fine Girl,
Kiss Me!"    *

***In 2012, astronomers with the HARPS Observatory announced the discovery
of the exo-planet Alpha Centauri Bb, a world purported to be in a tight
orbit around Alpha Centauri B.      Further analysis has revealed that no
such planet exists, so, for now, we know of no planet within the Alphe
Centauri system.    We are not suggesting, however, that there are no
planets within Alpha Centauri.    Astronomers have found stars in multiple
star systems.  (Refer to the third question in today's article.)  *