reminder note telling you that you WILL get milk and bread after work, you
old fool!   Must you make a drama of everything?"*

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, December 17, 2015
The Golds and Silvers of 2016

THE END OF CLIMATE CHANGE:
Tonight's science lecture at the Southworth Planetarium.
Thursday, December 17 at 7:00 p.m.
Presenter: Dr. Ivan Fernandez.
Admission by donation.
Call 207-780-4249 or consult our web-site
www.usm.maine.edu/planet for more information.

Give this unsleeping Earth a single hour and, like a cloud form kneaded by
updraft winds, it will transfigure itself before your very eyes. The
atmosphere convulses in paroxysms of lightning and whirlwinds in response
to relentless solar assaults. Continents shift imperceptibly, but
inexorably, toward the next super-continent convergence.   The planet
glides through thousands of miles of interplanetary space, propelled along
its course by Sun-induced distortions in the space-time continuum.
Similarly ensnared by the solar gravity, the empyreal spheres and swarms of
rock ice flotsam describe elegant curves and follow intricate trajectories
that we've just recently come to understand.

Nothing stops.
Not for a moment.
Not for any reason..

Thus, do we find ourselves here in mid December, preparing to crash
headlong into 2016: a year that, like the one now drawing to a close, will
offer an abundance celestial events for us to behold with sheer delight.
Today's DA focuses on what is to come in the new year.

So, what fantastic celestial sights await us in 2016?
We are particularly anxious for two events: the transit of Mercury in May
and the very close appulse of Venus and Jupiter in August.        If we
were to assign a gold, or, perhaps, platinum event for 2016, the Mercury
transit and Venus-Jupiter close approach would be tied.    Of course, the
year will offer us quite a few silvers as well as golds.

VENUS-SATURN:  JANUARY
We'll see a close approach of Venus and Saturn almost at once, as it occurs
on January 9th.   They will appear quite close:   0.08 degrees apart.   It
will be the second closest planetary appulse of 2016 after the
Venus-Jupiter event.    This coupling won't be quite as spectacular, owing
to Saturn's comparative dimness.  However, expect a stunning sight in the
early morning sky.

MERCURY'S GREATEST ELONGATION: FEBRUARY
Generally, Mercury's elongations don't garner much attention, but its
February elongation will be about as great as greatest elongations can be:
only a couple degrees shy of the maximum possible.   As it is a western
elongation, expect to see Mercury "high" aloft in the morning eastern sky.

JUPITER'S OPPOSITION:  MARCH
Jupiter oppositions occur about once every 399 days, so they aren't
particularly rare.  Yet, Jupiter rises to its greatest prominence when
we're reaching spring, making it easier for us to observe as the air will
-in theory- be growing warmer.

TRANSIT OF MERCURY: MAY
Heavens above, we cannot wait for this event!  On May 9th, the first world
passes directly in front of the Sun.    Mercurian transits will occur 14
times this century, so they are more frequent than transits of Venus.  (The
next Transit of Venus happens in December 2117.)       If it is clear, we
shall see almost all of this transit and, hopefully, you will, as well.

FULL SUMMER SOLSTICE MOON: JUNE
We haven't experienced a full moon on the Summer Solstice since 1986, so we
just had to mention this one.     The mystical significance is obvious, of
course!

VENUS-JUPITER APPULSE: AUGUST
Venus and Jupiter will almost appear to be touching.   Although both worlds
will be close to the Sun (22 degrees from the Sun), this appulse will be
absolutely breathtaking!    Also, August offers other appulses, as well:
Mercury/Venus and and Mars/Saturn

PERIGEE MOON:   NOVEMBER
We could call this a "super moon," as, most assuredly, it will be called.
The moon will be at the closest perigee in 30 years at the same time it is
full on November 14th.   Expect a lot of wonderful hype.  If only it could
have happened on the summer solstice...

We have obviously neglected a lot of wonderful events that will be worth
watching in the new year.    Meteor showers; planetary appulses, and what
not.     Also, one never knows precisely what will be emerging from the
inky black over the next year.  We are certain that an armada of comets are
careening toward the inner solar system.   Only when they come within a
certain distance will astronomers be able to observe them.

Astronomy tells us a lot about what we'll observe in 2016, but it doesn't
reveal everything.      Of course, life is all the richer with just a touch
of the unknown added to it.