Good Morning All,
I haven't looked to see how large the Finnish privately owned forests are, but if I understand the web site and LiDAR blog correctly they have committed to flying LiDAR every ten years.
http://blog.lidarnews.com/finnish-forests-to-be-completely-mapped-in-3d
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150526005282/en/Finnish-Forest-Centre%E2%80%99s-Database-Privately-Owned-Forests-Reaches#.VW78Rs9VjnJ

It would appear that our large forest landowners are on the right track in participating in the GeoLibrary's efforts to bring full LiDAR coverage to all of Maine and not just the populated centers.
GeoLibrary and MeGIS staff are working with the Cooperative Forestry Research Unit<http://www.umaine.edu/cfru/> to develop a project covering approximately 7,000 square miles in western Maine. Several of Maine's largest landowners have expressed interest in contributing funding to this planned application for USGS funding in the fall of this year.

Joseph Young
Maine Office of GIS, Administrative Director
Maine Library of Geographic Information, Executive Director
SHS 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, Maine 04333-0145
VP/Cell: 207-624-2664
http://maine.gov/megis/
http://www.maine.gov/geolib/

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: