I missed this when it was first published a year ago.

"In April 2012, NASA began testing LiDAR over Greenland in high-altitude airplanes. It fired pulses of green laser light down at the Earth and timed how long it took individual photons to bounce back, as a test of NASA's new "Multiple Altimeter Beam Experimental LiDAR," or MABEL tech. It can measure changes in the elevation of the Earth's surface down to "to as little as the width of a pencil," according to NASA.<http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/new-nasa-laser-technology-reveals-how-ice-measures-up/#.Uuk2OPZQ2xY>"
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/nasa-space-lasers-will-monitor-our-melting-polar-ice?trk_source=recommended

We could be getting our LiDAR data from NASA in another decade or two.

Joseph Young
Maine Office of GIS, Administrative Director
Maine Library of Geographic Information, Executive Director
SHS 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, Maine 04333-0145

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: