From: Joseph R LaBranche [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 9:35 AM
To: Young, Joseph
Subject: RE: Canopy Height Modeling

Thank you for the link.  I have used LAStools from rapidlasso and found their software extremely useful.  However, while I have not attempted this type of processing using rapidlasso programs I have done so using ArcGIS.  The results are astounding:

[cid:image006.jpg@01CFFCC9.A3082600]

In the above image (black = no change between DTM and DSM; and white = a "significant" change between DTM and DSM) we can readily discern individual trees and tree lines as well as buildings and other features.  Moreover, I would venture we could also accurately identify softwood vs. hardwood stands and many other entities!

We can also overlay a Maine Office of GIS orthophoto on the "canopy height model" and, to me, it appears to give some "depth" to an otherwise flat image.  What do you think?

[cid:image007.jpg@01CFFCC9.A3082600]

Kind regards,
Joe

Joseph R. LaBranche