Good afternoon,

This correspondence is directed to Joebox users who are making use of the MECguard filter on the Joebox; other recipients may disregard.

Several months ago we notified MECguard SSL (MECguard for secure/HTTPS connections) users that that software product was no longer supported by the original software vendor, and while it was still available for use we would only be able to support it on a "best effort" basis, and could not guarantee that it would perform as originally intended or meet the expectations of users.

This "best effort" support policy is now being extended to cover standard (non-secure/HTTP) MECguard as well.  MECguard is no longer being developed or supported by the original software vendor.  As such there will be no further advancement in features or bug remediation in the existing product.  This does not mean that either the Joebox or MECguard will suddenly stop working, but it does mean that if problems are encountered with web filtering, our ability to provide support will be limited to examining and adjusting the configuration to make sure it is correct.  If, despite correct configuration, filtering problems persist, the only recourse we have to offer is disabling MECguard and moving to OpenDNS, our only fully supported content filtering offering at this time.

We understand that many MECguard users make use of features that have no direct analog in OpenDNS, such as full URL filtering, Youtube School ID support, and enforcement of safe search.  OpenDNS does offer some advantages over MECguard, however, in that it is inherently protocol agnostic (it will block HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, nonstandard ports, etc), and it has a much more extensive, less confusing, and better maintained category list.  Critically, OpenDNS is supported by the vendor and will receive bug fixes and feature improvements over time, which MECguard will not.

If you are currently a MECguard user and are satisfied with your web filtering as it is now, you may continue to operate as you do now for the time being if you wish.  However, we are recommending that all current MECguard users make plans to transition to another content filtering solution at some point in the coming year, be it OpenDNS or another product as selected by the school.  Although there is currently no "cut-off" date by which you must move off of MECguard, as the product is no longer supported by the vendor it would not be prudent to plan to continue using it indefinitely.

If you have any questions about any of this, or would like to pursue migrating to the OpenDNS service provided by Networkmaine, please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance.

Thank you.

--
Andrew W. Henry
Networkmaine NOC Coordinator