From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Subject: New York Regional Office (NYRO) Census Geography Update 2014-02
To: [log in to unmask]

*New York Regional Office (NYRO) Census Geography Update 2014-02*

*Covering all the "News": New York, New Jersey & New England*

This is one in a series of occasional informational emails concerning
Census Geography from the Census Bureau's New York Regional Office.

This email is intended for any current or potential partners, data-users,
or stake-holders in Census geographic activities.

Should you not want to be on this (blind courtesy copy) email list, please
send an email to [log in to unmask] with

UNSUBSCRIBE inserted in the subject line.

If you feel you would like to pass this information on to other recipients,
you may do so.

Those recipients may in turn put their own name on our partner email list
by sending me an email with
SUBSCRIBE in the subject line, and include his/her name, phone number and
organization in the body of the email.

  *C E N S U S   D A T A   A C C E S S   S U M M E R   C A M P *

 For those of us who would like to perfect our data-digging abilities, we
suggest attending one of the many Census Bureau webinars that will be
presented throughout the summer.   The sessions are free and last
approximately 3 hours.  Presentations will NOT be recorded or archived.
Follow the link "Free Data Access Summer Camp"  to view the PDF:

 https://www.census.gov/regions/new_york/www/partner_information/

  *C E N S U S   G E O C O D I N G   S E R V I C E *

 The Census Bureau recently began hosting a free geocoding service.   The
service can return Census geographic information after a user loads
addresses into the system.  Census geographic information is derived from
the Census Bureau's TIGER database.   Only less than 1000 addresses can be
geocoded at a time, but there is no limit as to how many times you may use
the geocoder.  Follow this link:

https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/geocoder.html

 *G E O G R A P H I C   S U P P O R T   S Y S T E M   I N I T I A T I V E
( G S S - I )*

  The Census Bureau is currently administering an integrated geographic
program in which geographic datasets are procured from local governments
for purposes of continuous updating of its TIGER system. This will allow
the Census Bureau to keep its addresses and features to a currency level
that will support the continuous statistical methods of the American
Community Survey. Keeping our geographic database up to date will also
increase staff efficiency during Decennial operations. Local governments
are contacted by the Census Bureau on an as-needed basis, and in some
cases, to minimize the burden on those governments, the Census Bureau
chooses to contact the state government who might in turn, supply files.
Additional information concerning this initiative may be found at:
 https://www.census.gov/geo/www/gss/

David Kraiker
Geographer
Census Bureau - New York Regional Office
Tel: 212-584-3413

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: