Dear Colleagues,

We still have room in our summer GPS and GIS courses which start in July. Please pass this info onto anyone who might benefit from introductory GIS courses.

UMM will be offering our GPS and GIS I courses this summer in a low residency format, blending a short, intensive on-campus component with the convenience of online learning. Enroll now! Classes start in July.

You can just take just a course or two, or you can get started on our accelerated certificate program.

Students who live outside the area can stay in UMM's affordable and comfy residence halls and eat in the dining hall. Students can bring family along for summer programs and take advantage of the spectacular setting. Kids can take advantage of UMM's summer camps, or family can explore the region while you learn.

Brief descriptions and dates for upcoming summer courses are below. For more info on UMM's GIS courses and programs, visit: http://machias.edu/gis-program.html

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me anytime. Also, like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook to receive news, announcements and fun geostuff: https://www.facebook.com/ummgis

Tora Johnson
Director/ Instructor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory, Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
(207) 255-1214

Like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis

GIS204 - Introduction to the Global Positioning System (1cr) Web Hybrid – Online July 7-20, then on-campus sessions July 19 & 20

Students will gain a knowledge of the Global Positioning System, using handheld receivers in the field to navigate and gather local information and entering the data into a computer to make maps. Topics include the basic principles of the technology, uses of GPS, sources of error, methods used to minimize error and prevent data loss, basic geodesy related to GPS and basic mapping software. Includes outdoor, hands-on activities with handheld Garmin and Trimble receivers, as well as mapping activities in the laboratory. On-campus accommodations are available for a modest fee for students traveling from outside the local area. Online computer use and watching instructional videos on YouTube will be required.

GIS230 - Geographic Information Systems Applications I (4cr) Web Hybrid – On-campus sessions July 21–25, then online July 26 – August 29

This computer- intensive course includes a detailed discussion of what a GIS is, why GIS is being increasingly used today, sample applications, basic map concepts, how geographic and descriptive data are stored in the computer, and the steps in a typical GIS project. Students will learn to use a specific GIS software system and to define and complete a simple GIS project using existing data. On-campus accommodations are available for a modest fee for students traveling from outside the local area. Students must have access to a computer capable of running ArcGIS 10.2 software (see system requirements at http://bit.ly/arcgis10_2_sysreq). Students will receive a free one-year student license of the software. Students will be required to have a webcam and to participate in online synchronoussessions to be arranged to accommodate student schedules. Online computer use and watching instructional videos on YouTube will be required.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: