Good Morning all,
We had an interesting question regarding our latest color imagery available on the MeGIS WMS.
Perhaps the information is something you can use.
Working with color infrared imagery.

What is going on?

I downloaded CIR2013 2' orthos from your orthoviewer.  I could see the color infrared photos just fine in the viewer. I also downloaded the regular 2013 2' orthos of the same area.  When I brought them into my GIS the color infrared and the regular color photos both displayed as regular color imagery.

In the WMS, and the orthoviewer, the "CIR" is the same image as the true color image, just displayed differently. You are downloading a 4-band image.  The infrared is merely the 4th band (near-infrared reflectance) of each tile.

For color orthoimagery, the band combination (red-green-blue) is just 1-2-3 (the 4th band, near infrared, is left out) and for CIR, the band combination is 4-1-2 (the 3rd band, blue, is left out).
Your GIS program should have an ability to change the default band combination to 4-1-2 to get CIR. In ArcGIS for example you alter the band sequence for an image in the symbology tab of the layer properties.

Each image has the same 4 bands - so it doesn't matter if you download the CIR or the color, you actually get both in either case (and you can delete the duplicate set of JP2s you downloaded).

More information on working with imagery color bands:

From an energy spectrum consideration, blue is the longest wavelength, and thus lowest on the spectrum, while red is the shortest and thus higher on the spectrum.  IR obviously would be even higher.  Satellite data bands are numbered this way, so band 1 = blue, band 2 = green, band 3 = red, band 4 = NIR, etc. Computer monitors have always gone the other way (down the spectrum), so pixels in your monitor and TV are listed R-G-B or 1-2-3.

When digital 4-band data came along, the decision was made to match the band #s 1-3 to the standard used for computer hardware, R-G-B.  Thus you have it reversed from satellites, but perhaps more intuitive to the average computer user, 1-2-3 = RGB.

When shifting bands up the spectrum to get a color-infrared (CIR), it gets confusing.  With satellite data, you would just go up one step (so CIR would just be bands 2,3,4, arranged as 4-3-2 RGB). Since the actual order of bands when matched to the energy spectrum, is 3-2-1-4, to move up one notch you get 2-1-4 as BGR, or 4-1-2 as RGB.

Satellite bands (like LandSat)
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
Long---------------ąshort wavelength

Orthoimagery
3 - 2 - 1 - 4
Long --ąshort wavelength

Have a great day!

Joseph Young
Executive Director
Maine GeoLibrary
SHS 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, Maine 04333-
207-624-2664
[MaineGeoLibrary_Web_banner_JY]

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: