They're not even called goal judges any more -- Red Light Illuminators are their official titles. Rinks are still required to have the lights, but not required to have someone sitting there. They can have them triggered remotely. A rule mostly lobbied for by Notre Dame when they built their new rink and neglected a goal judges booth in the bleacher student section.