His base salary was 211K which was just slightly above TW's 190K, and that
was after 19 years on the job.  When the Maine hockey program is run right,
it can turn a profit of well over $1M/year.  From 2003-10 it turned $8M
profit and was close to UHN as the most profitable public university hockey
program east of Ann Arbor.  I would have loved to see Gwoz, but the school
was just never going to fork over the cash to get him here and I wonder how
much interest there was on his part.

My time on the team coincided with most of Red's tenure so I can tell you
to expect a grueling dryland this summer and fall leading to a team on the
ice conditioned to a level we haven't seen in years.  The feedback I have
from current players is that they are eager for the challenge.  They came
to Maine to win, not coast through practice and lose games.  Depending on
the type of staff Red puts together I expect the team to be defense
oriented but we have some offensive weapons and Red isn't afraid to use
them.  For the first time in a long time I am hopeful about Maine's future
rather than apprehensive.  It is my belief that we made a very good hire
and will look back at this weekend as a turning point in the program's
history.

--
"Victory? Victory you say? President Obama, not victory. The shroud of the
dark side has fallen. Begun the Age of Austerity has."