Hi Stephanie,

A legal question arose at an agency consultation that I attended last week,
which is in need of an answer.  A developer is proposing to install a tidal
barrage across the mouth of a bay in eastern Maine.  The proposed facility
operations would cause the tidal cycle to be delayed by 1.5 hours inside of
the bay and extend the high tide for 1 - 1.5 hours inside the bay.  The
Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) consulted with their
Attorney General's office and asked if these tidal changes would require
easements from property owners of the intertidal zone?  Maine is one of
five states where property ownership extends to mean low water in the
intertidal zone.  The AG's office did not have an answer to this question,
so DEP instructed the developer to investigate this with their own lawyers
and come back with a proposal for review.

We currently have two separate developers proposing tidal barrages in
eastern Maine and this question is pertinent for both cases.

I welcome guidance on this matter that I could pass along to Maine DEP.

Chris