NEWS FROM MAINE SEA GRANT | WINTER 2013

  • Scholarship winners
  • Working waterfront symposium
  • Maine Fishermen's Forum
  • New England authors
  • Request for research proposals
  • Publications, events, and more

EDUCATION HIGHLIGHTS

Maine Sea Grant is pleased to announce our sponsorship of two new Dean John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellows. These prestigious, one-year graduate student fellowships are supported by the NOAA National Sea Grant Office in Silver Spring, Maryland, and by state Sea Grant programs across the country. We are honored to have two applicants join the Knauss Fellowship Class of 2013 in February. Katherine Farrow received UMaine master’s degrees in resource economics (2012) and global policy (2011), and she will be working as a fisheries economist for NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service Office of Science and Technology. Erin Wilkinson received her master’s in marine science from the University of New England in 2012. She will be working in NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service Office of Sustainable Fisheries.

We are also pleased to congratulate our two outstanding recipients of the 2013 Maine Sea Grant Undergraduate Scholarship in Marine Science. Benjamin Segee and Alexander Jensen are both undergraduate students within the University of Maine School of Marine Sciences.

EXTENSION HIGHLIGHTS

Maine Sea Grant and the Marine Extension Team will be represented at the Third National Working Waterfronts and Waterways Symposium in Tacoma, Wash., March 25-28. Kristen Grant will present the results of legal research on how tax policies can help or hinder working waterfront preservation. Natalie Springuel is moderating a session on the maritime heritage of working waterfronts, during which a panel of representatives from North Carolina, Florida, and Washington will discuss the social and cultural aspects of working waterfronts, places where culture, history, and business intersect. Maine Sea Grant is a founding member of the new National Working Waterfront Network, which emerged in the wake of the last national symposium (held in Maine in 2010) and was bolstered by a $297,643 grant from the U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration. The grant supported a team of seven organizations located around the country to research historic trends impacting working waterfronts, to analyze the economic value of the nation’s working waterfront sectors, and to gather information on financing, law, and policy tools for preserving working waterfronts and waterways.

Maine Sea Grant helped start the Maine Fishermen’s Forum more than 30 years ago, and we continue to be involved in the annual gathering of Maine’s fishing industry, this year scheduled for February 28 through March 2. The Marine Extension Team will be co-leading sessions on tourism business opportunities for fishermen, ocean renewable energy, the basics of shellfish and seaweed aquaculture, ocean acidification, and Trade Adjustment Assistance trainings for enrolled lobstermen. We are also sponsoring a reading series at the Forum by New England authors with recent books on fisheries-related topics: Nancy Frazier, I, Lobster: A Crustacean Odyssey; Mary Cerullo, City Fish, Country Fish; Eva Murray, Well Out to Sea; W. Jeffrey Bolster, Mortal Sea: Fishing the Atlantic in the Age of Sail; and Gordon Holmes, East of the Hague Line.

RESEARCH HIGHLIGHTS

The Maine Sea Grant College Program invites preliminary proposals for research projects to be funded in the period February 2014 through January 2016. Through our biennial request for proposals, we strive to sponsor a diverse research portfolio that links the scientific capacity of Maine with the needs of coastal stakeholders. The research competition is open to faculty and staff at any public or private research or higher education institution in the state. Deadline is February 22.

In November, Maine Sea Grant hosted the US-Canada Science Symposium, The American Lobster in a Changing Ecosystem. The full program with abstracts and media reports are available at http://www.seagrant.umaine.edu/lobster-symposium.

PUBLICATIONS

In partnership with Dartmouth College’s Toxic Metals Superfund Research Program, Maine Sea Grant produced the report, Sources to Seafood: Mercury Pollution in the Marine Environment, which summarizes the latest peer-reviewed research on mercury in the world’s oceans. The report was distributed at the January meeting of theIntergovernmental Negotiating Committee in Geneva, Switzerland, where governments agreed to the text of a global legally binding instrument on mercury.

2013 calendars, featuring historic and contemporary images from the Downeast Fisheries Trail, are available at no cost by calling 207.581.1435.

New updates, “The Year in Review” and “Predictors of Climate Trends,” are available on Maine Climate News.

EVENTS

Maine Fishermen’s Forum | 28 Feb-2 March 2013

Signs of the Seasons regional volunteer trainings | Date TBD March 2013

Boston Seafood Show | 10-12 March 2013

Geological Society of America Northeastern Section | 16-20 March 2013

Maine Water Conference | 19 March 2013

Working Waterways and Waterfronts National Symposium on Water Access | 25-28 March 2013

New England Estuarine Research Society | 11-13 April 2013

Maine Beaches Conference | 12 July 2013

Maine Sea Grant College Program | 5784 York Complex Building 6 | The University of Maine | Orono, ME 04469
(207) 581.1435 | [log in to unmask]edu

Inline image 2

 Subscribe | Unsubscribe