Maine National History Day - a contest sponsored by the Maine State Archives for students in grades 6-12 will take place on April 3, 2013 at the University of Maine at Augusta.  Without volunteers and sponsors for our program, the History Day contest would not be possible.

Maine NHD is an annual educational competition for all Maine students in grades 6 through 12. Each year students prepare papers, exhibits, documentaries, performances or web sites that explore a theme chosen by the National organization. This year's theme is:  "Turning Points in History: People, Ideas, Events."  The top two winners in each category chosen at the State competition are eligible to compete at Nationals in June.

Interested in helping to support Maine National History Day?  Maine NHD would not exist without the generous support of the greater historical community in Maine. We greatly appreciate the continued support of those organizations who contribute annually to this worthwhile program. For more information on becoming a History Day sponsor:  http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/historyday/donate.html

Interested in becoming a Maine History Day judge?  Your job as a History Day judge is to evaluate student entries on the basis of historical quality and depth, demonstration of the relationship between topic and the theme, and effectiveness of presentation.  We are so appreciative of our veteran volunteers and are always looking for new recruits.  For more information on becoming a History Day judge/volunteer:  http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/historyday/volunteer.html

Maine National History Day teaches students the importance of using primary sources and brings history alive; giving students a renewed appreciation of it's value and impact on their lives.  Students, teachers, judges and everyone involved find this final culmination competition day a very rewarding and worthwhile experience.

For further information please visit the Maine National History Day website:  http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/historyday/ or www.nhd.org

Please contact Felicia Kennedy if you would like a History Day Sponsor form or Judge/Volunteer form (these can also be downloaded from the website).

Felicia Kennedy
Maine State Archives
84 State House Station
Augusta, ME  04333-0084