Newsletter – April 16 | Rockland

[image: Description: University College]

*Rockland <http://learn.maine.edu/rockland>***

*Newsletter – April 16*

*URock Student Association Elections – Vote Now!*

The URock Student
Association<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/about-us/student-association/>elections
are now open through April 21. Click on this link and cast your
ballot via Survey Monkey for your student leaders. SA Officers are
responsible for spending your student activity money.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SZFV8SN

*URock’s Graduation Celebration – Saturday, May 5*

Our special, local URock graduation celebration will be *Saturday, May 5th
at 4:00PM at URock. *We will open the wall between rooms #403 and 404* *and
pack the house with celebration!* *

Although most graduates will march on campus in full regalia, our local
celebration honors Rockland graduates in familiar surroundings with friends
and colleagues who have shared the journey. Our keynote speaker will be
Rosa Redonnet, Chief Student Affairs Officer for the University of Maine
System. Rosa is a tireless advocate for distance education and quality
student support. We are honored that she will join us.

Each graduate may bring guests though beware this is not really a “kid
friendly” event. This event will be catered by Cafe Miranda and Sweet
Sensations. Please RSVP to the front office.

*Attention Grads – We Want Your Photos!*

Urock is preparing a slide show for the graduation celebration on May 5th.
In addition, we have a bulletin board outside the main office devoted to
graduation info. Grads, please send Dawn Rinehart <[log in to unmask]> your
photos electronically so you may be included.

*Workshop on Paths to Teacher Certification*

Join us for an *information workshop on Thursday, April 26th at 4:00PM*.
Cynthia Dean, Assistant Professor of Education at UMA, will discuss all the
pathways to teacher certification available through URock, including
elementary, secondary and special education certification. This is a great
way to learn about course requirements and Dept. of Ed. regulations for
elementary education, special education and secondary education, Including
student teaching. An RSVP at the front desk is appreciated but not
necessary.

*Internships!*

We continue to get a good deal of interest from local businesses about
college interns. Some of the requests have been converted into job
descriptions which are posted on the large bulletin board outside room
#414. Internships are a great way to get real world work experience and
boost your resume. Some of these internships are paying positions.

*Accept Your Financial Aid!*

Financial aid awards should be showing on Maine Street. Please go in and
accept your package. Remember the initial award offer will be for fall 2012
and spring 2013. When you accept the award you will be prompted to indicate
your plans for summer. Students taking summer courses will receive an
adjusted award within a day or two of accepting the original award. You
will need posted financial aid (or payment) to register for summer classes.

*Explore New Fall Course Options!*

Some exciting new onsite and videoconference
courses<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/files/2012/04/Fall-2012-Rockland-Onsite040312.pdf>are
showing in our fall schedule. Check out CIS 220, EDU 250E, EDU 390,
ENG
300W, ENG 352, HGH 367, HUM 389, HUS 222, JUS 390 JUS 471, POS 107. Follow
the link<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/files/2012/04/Fall-2012-Rockland-Onsite040312.pdf>for
course descriptions and meeting times.

*UMA Summer and Fall Registration Is Open*

UMS campuses have either opened summer and fall registration, or returning
students can now make *wish lists* in Maine Street. Course listings are *now
available* for both summer and fall on the URock web
site<http://www.learn.maine.edu/rockland>and through the Distance
Learning Class Search<https://peportal.maine.edu/psp/PAPRD89_1/EMPLOYEE/CSPRDST/c/UM_SA.UM_DL_CLSRCH_ENTRY.GBL?PORTALPARAM_PTCNAV=UM_DL_CLASS_SEARCH&EOPP.SCNode=EMPL&EOPP.SCPortal=EMPLOYEE&EOPP.SCName=ADMN_UM_CLASS_SRCH_QCKLINLS&EOPP.SCLabel=UM_CLASS_SRCH_QCKLINLS&EOPP.SCPTcname=&FolderPath=PORTAL_ROOT_OBJECT.PORTAL_BASE_DATA.CO_NAVIGATION_COLLECTIONS.ADMN_UM_CLASS_SRCH_QCKLINLS.ADMN_S200902191544227421491134&IsFolder=false>
.

All seven campuses have different registration dates for summer and fall
terms. Check the URock site for registration date
information<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/files/2012/02/UMS-Summer-Fall-2012-enrollment-Schedule.pdf>
.

Please note that *UMA registration* for returning students requires payment
or proof of financial aid when you register for summer. Fall does not
require payment at this time so you may use self-service in Maine Street.

*Support the March of Dimes Walk-a-Thon*

The team, B!G STEPS, little
feet<http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=1792158>,
will be participate in the March for Babies Walk starting from the Rockland
Elks Lodge on May 6, 2012 and going for 4 miles. We have 14 members and
counting, some of whom are* fellow students*. We are currently looking for
sponsors and would be delighted if you would consider making a donation!
Donations are accepted through all forms of payment. Checks should be made
out to The March of Dimes. Please give checks and cash to the staff at the
front desk. We will be having cutouts to purchase for $1.00 as well. The
sign-up sheet is posted on the UROCK bulletin board in the student lounge.
Thank you for your support!

*New URock Apparel Catalog*

KDK Apparel Printing and Embroidery (owned by a former URock student) has
created a new catalog of URock clothing and
items<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/files/2011/10/UROCKcatalog_nov2011.pdf>.
From fleece vests to yoga pants and T-shirts, there’s lots of fun items at
good prices. Good gift ideas! You can place your order directly with KDK.

*Visit URock on Facebook!*

[image: Description:
http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/wp-content/themes/uc-main/images/newsletter/shadow.gif]

Latest News & Events

*URock Graduation Celebration May
5!<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/urock-graduation-celebration/>
***

URock will hold its special graduation celebration on Saturday, May 5th at
4:00PM. Although most graduates will march on campus in full regalia on May
12, our More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/urock-graduation-celebration/>

*UMA Pathways to Teacher Certification Info
Session<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/uma-pathways-teacher-certification-info-session/>
***

UROCK will be be offering a Videoconference Session on the UMA Pathways to
Teacher Certification on Thursday, April 26 from 4:00-6:00 pm. Join Cynthia
Dean Assistant Professor of Education
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/uma-pathways-teacher-certification-info-session/>

*Pi Day Poster Contest
Winners<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/pi-day-poster-contest-winners/>
***

Congratulations to URock’s artists who won ALL the prizes for creating the
UMA Math Department Pi Day posters! Alexandra Winsper, Rebecca Ewen and Pam
Gilbert won 1st, 2nd and
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/pi-day-poster-contest-winners/>

*Read Up On Jobs! <http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/read-jobs/>***

The URock student lounge has shelves of good books about career fields,
test taking (Praxis, GRE, etc.) and job hunting skills. You are welcome to
borrow any of these More <http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news/read-jobs/>

*UMA Special Ed Certification Info
Session<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/uncategorized/uma-special-ed-certification-info-session/>
***

Heather Ball’s Information Session on the path to Special Education
Certification from December 2011 can be viewed here.
More<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/uncategorized/uma-special-ed-certification-info-session/>

© University College. All rights reserved.
91 Camden Street | Rockland, ME 04841
(207) 596-6906 | Fax: (207) 594-2938

Having trouble viewing this email? Click
here.<http://learn.maine.edu/rockland/news-events/newsletters/>