Hi Lisa,

Thanks for helping encourage participation!

John

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Lisa Hogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,

 MICDL sent information out about the TESLA in early May.
I decided to do a bit of reading about the TESLA Project from Harvard.  I have all the documents from Harvard about the project but sadly I can not upload them to the list serv...it keeps saying they are too big.  If you want the documents email me and I will send them to you through email. Here is their website: http://www.tesla-project.org I will post again with the remaining information.  I can not send it all in one post.

I like what I see.  Math is one of the areas I struggle getting teachers using technology.  This project uses technology to help students understand Algebra through problem solving using a virtual world.  I believe it will really engage students.  The lessons seem well planned and thoughtful.

I contacted Megan Taylor ( ilovemath@mac.com) of Harvard to say MSAD 75 was interested in working with them on the project.  I also said our middle school is grade 6 to 8 and we could commit to the project as a 6 to 8 project but we probably could not commit to a district size project because our 5th grades are spread far and wide in 5 other schools.  They were fine with working just with the 6 to 8 grade teachers and students. However, they have not had any interest from any other school in Maine about this project accept me.  They will only come to Maine to provide free professional development for the teachers if they get a few more schools.

Is there anyone else out there who might be interested?  Free professional development for teachers, some compensation for teachers, a virtual world for students to learn algebra....and it is just a week long project....

Lisa

"The best way to mitigate the Internet safety risks that our children face is to combine several strategies.  The four primary tools at our disposal are education, technology development, social norms, and the law."

John Palfrey, Born Digital
, page 98.

--
John Newlin