Yesterday it was brought to our attention that certain ArcGIS 9.3.1
clients have been returning error messages when trying to draw imagery
from our web mapping services (WMS) ever since the upgrade March 6.

We have researched this issue and found a simple solution.  The issue is
actually a bug in the way ArcGIS 9.3.1 makes WMS requests against
certain server versions.  In our case it is trying to make a WMS 1.3.0
request against a server which is running WMS 1.1.1.  In 1.3 there are
ways to handle 'exceptions' which did not exist at 1.1.1, which causes
the server to return an error message.  This problem is fixed in ArcGIS
v10.

A simple workaround in 9.3.1 is to specify the version explicitly as
1.1.1 when setting up your WMS connection, and it will make the requests
correctly.

At least one user with AutoCAD 2010 reported the same error message
(about 'exceptions', the solution was to explicitly specify the version
using VERSION=1.1.1& at the end of the WMS URL.  (That workaround will
not work with ArcGIS).

Bo

*****************
Michael Smith
State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS, Maine OIT
Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary
Board Member, Maine GIS Users Group
State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council

  <http://megis.maine.gov/>   <http://www.maine.gov/geolib>
<http://www.megug.org/>   <http://www.nsgic.org/>

State House Station 174
264 Civic Center Drive
Augusta, ME 04333-0174
(207) 215-5530

69o 47' 49.5"W   44o 20' 54.5"N

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: