I have had many conversations and thoughts regarding this topic.  I think
that like anything else that you want to get good at, you need to practice
as much as possible.  Currently, I see each grade for 40 minutes once a
week.  This is not enough time to expect them to get good at keyboarding,
nor would I make them sit for 40 minutes and type.  They need to have
shorter lessons, multiple times per week.  So as you can see, the problem
comes with the homeroom teachers who could be asked to facilitate
keyboarding, much like they do with cursive writing in 3rd grade.  Is it
their job to add yet another topic that they need to cover into their
already stretched schedules?  I personally like the idea of requiring it as
homework, how would you monitor it?  Parents signing off on it?

Toby Cole
Tech Integrator
RSU 26 (Glenburn, Veazie)