From: White, Bob
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:40 AM
Subject: Pre-directional’s, suffixes, post-directional’s

In order to ensure our data for E9-1-1 is NG9-1-1 compliant and will work efficiently we are going to be changing the way we store road name data for some records. A formal document will be published next week explaining the details but for now here is what the biggest changes will be…

1)       Pre-directional field: Today we use this field for N, S, E, W, NE, SE, NW, and SW when the direction is determined to be a pre qualifier. I.E North Main St vs. South Main St. If the direction is determined to be part of the road name I.E North Beach Rd, then today we store North in the street name field and leave it spelled out.

The new approach will use the predir field and abbreviation for all pre directional’s except when the direction is the only name for the street. I.E. North ST. Otherwise all directionals will be abbreviated and stored in the pre directional field.

2)       Suffix field: Today we store the USPS approved suffixes in the suffix field. NON USPS suffixes and suffixes that were determined to be part of the road name are not stored in that field today.

Moving forward all last words in the streetname field that correspond to an approved USPS suffix will be stored in the suffix field. The only time a

Suffix will be spelled out is when it is in the USPS standard, or it does not have a USPS standard for it. IE Eastern Promenade.

3)       Post-directional field: Today we use this field for N, S, E, W, NE, SE, NW, and SW when the direction is determined to be a post modifier. I.E Main St North vs. Main St South. If the direction is determined to be part of the road name I.E Beach Road North , then today we store North in the street name field and leave it spelled out.

The new approach will use the postdir field and abbreviation for all post directionals.

A complete formal document outlining these changes, and why will be published next week. I just wanted to provide you a heads up today of what is coming.

Additional changes in the future are expected as well in how we will store numbered routes as we move forward.

Bob

Bob White

E9-1-1 Spatial Database Manager

MEGIS E9-1-1

175 Statehouse Station

24 Child St

Augusta, Maine 04333-0175

Phone 800-665-2830

Fax 866-710-7381

Cell 207-446-5387

----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: