The "extra man on the ice," a term every home barn uses, applies only when the team inside it is winning.

On Feb 8, 2009, at 1:44 PM, Anthony DelMonaco wrote:

Stretch run to spring break? The inconsistent play is going to be lucky to get them into the HE Playoffs. It seems like they play terrible the first night and then get pissed off and give it hell the next night OR they play great the first night, get over confident and then get lit up like Fenway Park the next. The lines should be set, they should be confident with their linemates and as far as motivation goes, that scripted MAINE on the front of their sweaters should be enough for them to play their asses off night after night, no matter who is behind the bench motivating(or in this case NOT motivating) them. As far as the Alfond goes I think it's the most pathetic excuse of home ice advantage as I've seen. For the most part it seems the fans go out to be seen or to be able to say "I went to the hockey game", yes they are filling the seats, the money is needed to keep the program going but the place to me has lost a lot of it's intimidation in the past few years. I like the efforts put into the arena to make it more modern. But to say it's the extra skater I think is pushing it. I agree with Nonni about the Lake State/Bowling Green point, we aren't that far off. There is a need for change not only in the hockey program but the athletic department. Maybe Obama will bring us some change we can believe in....

Tony

From: Bill Dewkett <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, February 8, 2009 1:17:12 PM
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: Maine 1, UNH 0

I agree with you Nonni, it is that time in the season where young no longer applies, lines should be set and the team ready for the stretch run.   Deron, I also agree with you in that this is a Jekyll and Hyde team.  I see displays of talent one night and wonder if they ever played hockey the next night.   Is this a factor of the coaching staff getting them mentally ready or letting them get themselves mentally ready for a game?  Since when has the Alfond crowd been unnerving to our players.  The Alfond was and is always our “extra” skater on the ice.  If they are young then it is between their ears and it is the coaching staff’s job to clean out the self-doubt.  I also don’t see anybody leaving early.

Bill